1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Russ Ive been wanting to add another internal HDD to mu Dell. Ive got two spaces for HDDs. But there are onlythree sata connectors and all three are on 1 HDD and 2 ODDs. Wheere do the other 2 come from. Can a SATA connection be split-that sounds wrong? My last Dell had enough spares. This is an expensive Dell dimension quad core. gary

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No, no splitting S-ata.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

GARmoonY I can't see the inside of ye computer but I"m guessing there should be some open SATA connections somewhere... only three (3) seems a bit short for a better built computer. ;) Anyway if there isn't more than the 3 then a cheapy PCI sata card should do the trick... of course Russ might have a different idea since he does more repair and add-ons than most of us even think about. :)

Good luck bud. ;)

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ is living my dream! :p

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@greensman

With a little searching and a pic from Dell who had others confused also, I found the other two SATA connectors. Two of the connectors are double stacked connectors and have latch data Sata cables. They used the top one of each one and thus hid the other two lurking below them (like two usb connections in tandem). The fifth one I used for my second ODD months ago cause it was easy to see-on the motherboard.

Thanks, gary

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  6. greensman

greensman Regular member

@GarMOONy.... you have it sorted then?? If so brilliant... if not then the PCI card is the answer I would think. ;)

Hope all are doing well!!!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

gary,
    With Dell you never know. Do you have a model on your Dell? I've see a number of later model Dimensions that had only two sata ports with the ODD being IDE from the factory, so there is only one additional Sata port. We have a Dell Dimension 4700 at the office and it only has two Sata Ports. Let me know on what model yours is.

You could add a Sata controller card like this for about $20.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124047

That will give you a spare IDE as well. It's PCIe.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ

XPS 9100 has space for (internal) 3HDD and 2ODD. Just like my last except they are using 2 double SATA terminals on the MB. They just got cheap and didn't put the other 3 SATA connectors inthe pc ready for the add ons. I easily found the 3rd on the topp of MB next to the doubles being used. Yesterday opened it up and got my flashlight and pull the ODD SATA of( had latch clip)then I could feel and see the second female hole to plug into. I guess when I get another HDD will attach to the terminal under the first HDD. I do already have 2 IDEs empty but ready.Here's pick of a 9100 and same problem this dude couldn't find his extras.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,

It certainly looks like there are 4 Sata ports there, with 3 already connected.

Russ

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ

My situation is there is an ODD where the blue is and an HDD where the black is. The 5th sata out of picture just in from the double sata connectors is a second ODD.Which leaves the hidden 2 open sockets under the blue and black ones. You can see the orange one this dude has plugged in under his blue. He has room under the black and the 5th on the MB.

I don't have any sales to report so I apologize for hijacking thread.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's ok Moony... ;) I'm sure you'll buy something soon. :D

12. N_3_Days

N_3_Days Member

[​IMG]

It's been a long time sense. i done one about a year. i still have some 8x +R Verbs laying around from micro center. i brought years ago..

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Love the 003 dyes. I have very few laying around :( I also have Yuden T02 discs. THOSE are excellent discs! I only use those for special projects. I bought them before JVC joined Taiyo Yuden.

14. N_3_Days

N_3_Days Member

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a scan of a SONY +R I burned some time ago. Not bad considering its age. It has some scuff marks toward the outer diameter(From the disc book), as you can see in the scan.
    Appears to read just fine though :)
    [​IMG]

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a scan of a Sony DVD+RW. I bought it around 2003 if memory serves. +RW's were the only burnable dvd's my first burner could/would burn to(HP 100i).

Burned the scream awards on it yesterday. Can you believe a Sony PS2 couldn't read it?! Sony couldn't read a sony disc. I think that's hilarious! The PS2 is outdated though...And I really should have booktyped to DVD-ROM.

Rather odd scan eh? The Pink area wasn't even burned to. Old data, or formatted anyway.
    [​IMG]

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm 99% positive if you had booktyped it to DVD-ROM it would have read it. ;)

Nice colorful scan tho.... LOL

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a CMC MAG BD-R burned at 4X, and scanned at both 6X and 4X(bought from digistor). Burned by LG WH10LS30. They look like fairly agreeable discs. Unfortunately, compatibility can be an issue with them. Older BD players don't like them. I imagine any modern one will read them though ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

new Lite-On ODD greensman picked out so far so good...ended up being 20.99 shipped so pretty good deal at newegg.

[​IMG]

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Looks good Oman. :)

GOod deal ZoSo... ;)