1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Here's the fruit of you's and my labors!

The BenQ DH-16A1P lives no longer! It is now a Lite-On LH-16A1P
    Here's the first scan at 12x!

[​IMG]

Same disk on the Asus E616A2 DVD Rom Drive at 10x

[​IMG]

The next scans at 8X with the Lite-On!

[​IMG]

With the Asus E616A2

[​IMG]

I think it's safe to say that 8x will be my permanent burn speed!

My thanks to Greensman for the help in Cross-Flashing and Flashing the drive!

I do have one question. In the Settings Utility it has 4 options! Only Smart Burn is enabled! Force Hyper Tuning, Over Speed Writing and Online Hyper Tuning are turned off! Have I got it right?

Thanks all,
    Russ

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

8X is good. ;)

You're welcome! Glad it worked. :)

Maybe someone can answer that has the drive but having a few Lite-On drives I would play around and see what settings produce the "better" burns (scans). You prolly won't use OverSpeed writing so that option is out for you. Try the other 3 on and off to see what you get. I would "add" OHT first and see what that does and go from there. :)

good luck...

.....gm

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@theonejrs

As greensman said the QS should be ignored; and as for me the whole QS should be ignored. For me, a truly good disc is one that plays flawlessly and one that can be copied on the fly giving another flawlessly playing disc. That would be a 100 score for me regardless what QS score indicates. That greensman know his burners; just don't PM about getting a new burner you'll end up with a closet of extras. Talk about redundancy. J/K my friend. JM2C

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

garmoon I think they have ODD's on sale again at the EGG!!!! :D They take all credit cards and even accept mail in orders..... hehehee. :p

Great way to see if the disc is good or not BUT the Quality Scan will do it much quicker (normally) and doesn't waste a disc. The ultimate test is playback and copying disc to disc tho. IF it'll do that you should have a nice little "back up". :)

....gm

add:

A short little list of SATA drives that I would buy if given the chance.... lol.

SATA ODD's at the EGG for under $25 delivered

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

Here are couple scans from 8x (Avg. 7.4x) burns as you guys suggested. I would have to agree that GM knows his ODD, I purchased two Liteys as per his suggestion and so far am very pleased. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My point exactly. I scanned some very old DVDs last night and I found that with a max of 8 pi failures, you are already in the low 80s. Don't know what a 12 is but it seems to me that it would be in the high 60s based on the loose scale they use. That's why I'm suggesting that hobbit's software might have a problem. You shouldn't be able to get a 93 QS with a 12 max in the pi failures. It should be showing a score in the 60-70 range with a 12 as max!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

I have often wondered the same as you, how can some scans score what they do. You mentioned a max of 12 pif and a score of 93. Here is a scan on one of my cmc mag disks, which plays great btw (may not work at all a year from now though) with a max of 9 PIF and scores a 57. Go figure.

[​IMG]

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ferguj1,
    Without the red 9 in the pf failures, that disk would be in the high 70s! I have one DVD that plays without problems that gives a 0 QS. There's a red spike in the pi failures at 80! LOL!! It's been that way for over 3 years and still plays without problems!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@Russ & ferguj1,

Here's a quick comparison for you on Benq vs. Lite-on scans. I don't have a Lite-on installed currently so I used my Samsung which scans like a litey. Both scan run at maximum speed to get-er done. I've also "fixed" the levels for the Benq scan so it shows the threshold.

Same disc, 8x Ritek R03, burned @ 8x on Optiarc 7200S with 1.Z2 f/w.

Samsung Scan:
    [​IMG]

Benq Scan:
    [​IMG]

The "threshold" is where a QS score will drop below 90.

For chuckles & grins, here's the scan of the same disc shortly after I burned it (yesturday):

[​IMG]

Notice the spike at 3.35 gigs has disapeared? Either the disc has "mellowed" in the last 24hrs or the fast scanning speed missed it.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, a Benq is considered a better scanner than a Lite-on.

Why worry about something you have little to no control over? Granted the lower the better but I have yet to find anything that we can control which can affect jitter other than burning speed, and that only slightly. It seems to me that jitter is more inherent to a drive or media or their combination/interaction.

If there is something I can actively do, other than disassembling my drives, to affect/reduce jitter, please point me to where I can learn!

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep the BENQ's are accepted scanners and do much more than the standard litey. I think the Plexy's are pretty good too but that's from reading and looking at what they can do with the software they use. ;) I don't have one. :p

On the Jitter I think that you can affectively be proactive by getting a quality drive but also by burning at normal speeds and using acceptable media like you said. ;) As for "truly" affecting the Jitter it's almost impossible as it is to change the QS on certain media. lol. Again it's subjective but I've seen that it's more important to have a decent Jitter, say under 10 average, to achieve a little more stable disc. NOT always the case but I think that "higher" the Jitter the more of a probability for getting a disc that "deteriorates" over a shorter time period. :) Hope that makes some sense and is on track. ;)

....gm

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Here's a new wrinkle with regard to jitter. Here is the same disc as I posted above but scanned on a Lite-on LH-20A1S which I have in another computer (didn't remember I had a Litey in it, LOL!)

[​IMG]

Apparently this drive likes this disc better than my Benq!

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hoggit112,
    I've played around a bit with different speeds and settings and came up with this gem!

[​IMG]

See the 77 score? That was there right at that maximum 6 pi failures spike. It never got any worse and never improved. You had a spike of 12! For some reason your software isn't recording those high spikes at all as far as the score goes. It doesn't seem to be calculating right at all! My drive is a Lite-On LH-16A1P/W0L8 and this scan would be a 97 if it weren't for that 6 spike on the pi failures.

I was just questioning your software, as it certainly doesn't seem to be working right!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ his software is just fine. The BENQ and Litey drives have different ways of scanning and therefore different ways of reporting. ;)

Lite-On QS
    100 - 0
    98 - 1
    95 - 2
    93 - 3
    90 - 4
    84 - 5 and so on.

BENQ QS
    100 - 0
    99 - 1
    98 - 2
    97 - 3
    96 - 4
    95 - 5 and so on.

# on the left is QS and # on the right is PIF spike. IIRC the Litey's use 1ECC reporting and the BENQ's use 8ECC reporting. ;)

hth...

...gm

add: Use 4x scanning with the Litey and 8x scanning with the BENQ. More accurate from what I've read.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I thought mine was a Litey now? Some of the scans look impressive, much better than when it was a BenQ? So what exactly is my drive right now? Everything including the boot screen shows it as a Lite-On, so what is it now, a Lite-On or a BenQ?

Confused,
    Russ

15. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Russ,

Your BenQ DH-16A1P is a rebadged Lite-On drive. It was made by Lite-On for Benq and as such has a Lite-On chipset inside. The Benqs with Benq chipsets (of which mine is one) are the ones which scan differently.

By cross-flashing to Lite-On f/w you probably are now allowing the drive to work up to it's full potential, allowing for quicker f/w updates and allows you to use some wonderful modded f/w if you so desire.

16. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Russ,

Your BenQ DH-16A1P is a rebadged Lite-On drive. It was made by Lite-On for Benq and as such has a Lite-On chipset inside. The Benqs with Benq chipsets (of which mine is one) are the ones which scan differently.

By cross-flashing to Lite-On f/w you probably are now allowing the drive to work up to it's full potential, allowing for quicker f/w updates and allows you to use some wonderful modded f/w if you so desire.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ
    Your drive is now a full blown litey. a pretty good one at that.Don't think of it as a Benq any more,it wont scan the way as a benQ does. TBH i think you will have better scanning capabilities now.

that scan you have above score wise isn't all that great but look at the scan more than the score. you have 1 spike up to 6. thats nothing to worry about. if you had multiple spikes all over the disc then its time to worry. take that spike from the equation and your looking at a very nice 95QS. low PIE's and PIF's
    . your jitter is below 9 thats great. i know we all want the awesome QS score, but we have to look at the scan closer than just the score we get on it.

Here is a burn i did last night on the 7200S got a good scan.

[​IMG]

same disc scaned on my litey.
    [​IMG]

sub 100 PIF's very nice. jitter is a little over 9 not to bad.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Here's the one that's almost identical to your scan. I had about 5,000 less pi errors, but you had two less pi failures. In my eyes, both good scans. Both drives seem to scan best at the burn speed!

[​IMG]

Best,
    Russ

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Try the scan again at 4X and see what you get. To compare Apples to Apples you have to use the same control.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

actually if he got that score @8x that is great. normally i find when i do scans at 8x they have more pie/pif's

id say it would bee even lower totals at 4x. will scan my same disc at 8x and post its results

here it is.same disc scanned @8x. pie's went through the roof. supriseingly the pif's are about the same. which is nice. jitter is also a little higher.

[​IMG]