1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'll have you know that's a real word! :p link

You doin alright rob?? Know your going thru manopause.......hehehe. When you starting that new rig so you can add some of these drives we're talking about and do some more scans??

...gm

edit: for spelling and whatever comes to mind.....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

to be honest ive just been playing with my bean counter seeing about how much im gonna need for this and that 700-800 not includeing any optical drives..but that price is kinda on the high side cause i allowed for price fluctuation when i actually get to start ordering stuff which i hope will be within the next month...crossing fingers....

as far as the drives go..im still stuck on the lite-ons..lol but they will be sata drives.. wanna go sata for those and the HDD..
    i got a pretty good idea on everything i want/need except for maybe some good memory want 2 gigs dual...

sorry this is way off topic..hell wrong thread even..lol

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm suprised I didn't see greensman's picture beside of that definition of wonky. :D

4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Going back to my test of the 8X - 10X Verb DLs.

I found I wasn't able to do an overspeed burn. 8X was max. Had a couple of good burns, then went south(could have been because I was trying to burn @ 10x in ImgBurn, but who knows??).

Looks like on my Lite-On LH-20A1H the "sweet spot" is @ 6x. Here's #6 & #7 burn scans:

(screw it, I'm posting the images, sorry gm!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Got my SATA burner, drive & controller today & installed. Here is the first burn & scan. It's a Verb 8X DL burned @ 6X with Nero 6, with disk image stored on SATA hard drive before burning.

[​IMG]

Not too bad for a first burn if I say so myself.

I think I'm going to love this burner! Thanks for the recommendation gm!

I've got a TY SL in the oven right now to see how that flys.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's not my thread and to tell you the truth I would rather post images but I think we were trying to save bandwidth or something. If a MOD would like to intervene that would be fine with me but I was/am following what we tried to set up with the beginning of the new thread. :) Whateva is the term here!! hehehe.

@LOCO,
    YOu ain't right. Pickin on po lil ol' me!!! :p

All of the following burns were at 8X (max rated on label for media)

Ritek R03 hsm 90 score LH-20A1S burn

Ritek R03 tbu 95 score Pioneer burn

Ritek R03 tbu 98 score Lh-20A1S burn

TYG02 95 score LH-20A1S burn

MCC03RG20 84 score because of one spike!! Pioneer burn...for some reason this media is difficult to burn sometimes. :)

...gm

I have more to go but here are a few for your enjoyment....

edit: did some today......I need to do a defrag.... or the source is "corrupt"......here's the scans anyway

8X burns......same source, same media, same scanner (LH-20A1S), same speed, recorded only a few minutes apart........

RSS TYG02 Lite-on LH-20A1S stat
    RSS TYG02 Lite-on LH-20A1S scan

RSS TYG02 Pioneer DVR-112L stat
    RSS TYG02 Pioneer DVR-112L scan

LIKE I said I need to do a defrag but I can't help but think the source might be a little "off"

....gm

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sorry to do another post following my own. BUT it was too long already. :p

Samsung SH-203B FIRST BURN (haven't updated f/w yet)

stat

LG GSA-H62N FIRST BURN (didn't update f/w on this either)

stat

I'm thinking these are gonna be good drives as well but who knows with ONE burn so far.....lol

I'm tired, time for bed. :)

....gm

btw changed cases to a new Cooler Master Elite 330 and it's not to bad.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not bad at all for first burns. id say just from the scans the LG did a little better. with FW updates they should get better

cooler master elite 330 huh and what wattage is that? i know its not 330w, thats less than my factory made 350w hp..lol just kiddin ya.

9. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    greensman,cincyrob.
    Both scans are good considering the media [greensman].
    However the 203 edges it.
    Because although the LG has better PIE (this is a characteristic due to how the disc is burnt) the PIFs are higher.
    In fairness neither is a bad burn in terms of PIE/PIF or Jitter. Hence the QualityScore.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok all these scans and none are mine.lol had to get out a couple older movies and reburn them so ill have a few scans shortly....

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

12. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

cincyrob
    your's are still way better than mine....:p
    edit just placed my drive order LH-20A1S

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@born2ride

hope you have good luck with your new drive.. ive been hearing more good things out of those 20x drives.

heres a scan done on my LH-18A1P not bad at all thought i had me a 98 until the end but still a good scan.. putting i tin the player now to check it out..

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/deathproof.png

14. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

cincyrob
    pi failure do they really matter?

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm sure that cincy will reply but here I go. LOL.

YES!! they do. :) I would say if you're scanning on a Lite-on anything under let's say 5 is gonna do ok but you start getting/having problems over that. :) I'm not talking about the "single large" spike, I'm talking about groups or numerous spikes over 5.

I did one the other day (which I'll post sometime soon) with some (LOL) spikes near the end and the dang disc wouldn't even think about playing. :( We got thru the movie and when the credits started ooops no more play. lol.

To tell you the truth I haven't had anything "stutter" with HIGH PIE's and semi-low PIF's. Take into account that the oldest discs I have are maybe 3 years old. Anyway, I've posted some of those too and some were very COLORFUL to say the least. LOL.

hth.....

....gm

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

PIF(failure) is the most importantthing on the scan....you can have some spikes in it but you dont want them to be real high... i think the standard for them is like 10 anything over that is getting to be bad. but 1 here and there its not gonna hurt the quality of the disc. mess up the scan but the disc should be ok. when you get alot of PIF's the disc tends to be hard for your dvd player to read it... if you look at that scan i just posted i have a max of 2 on the PIF's and a total of like 400 or so i dont remember and cant see it here at work.

those numbers there i would take every scan.. you can have a high total amount(say 2000) and a low max(2) and have a good disc.... if you are getting some high PIF's and your worried about it do the SCAN DISC test on it.. that checks to see if there is a problem reading the disc....it should be all green boxes when your done with the test...

BUT most of all remember this.. these scans arent the final answer..they are something to give you a idea of how the disc should preform.... the best test is if you can play it fine with no pixelation freezeing up skipping ect... and if you can rerip it and get a good copy.... playback is the most important thing of all.. the scans are fun to look at and gives us alot to talk about but i wouldnt hold anything concrete in them...

hope this helps ya some... ill try and find the link i first read breaking down the PIF's and PIE's what they mean to us... i post it later when i get home if i can find it

to be honest if you look at the first nero cd/dvdspeed test thread i think on the first couple pages i posted that same link im talking about now...

ok can i breath now???lol
    docTY where ya at??? just posted one of your type post...lmao

edit to add this (dont want to be a post padder)
    try this link here it talks about the PIE's and PIF's i think it is the link i was wanting but its the very begining of it.. its alittle long but alot of good info in it and explains better than i can..

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Home-PI_PIF-scanning---Who-to-believe/Introduction.html

edit to add this
    i stands corrected allready..lol
    this is from that link. and is for liteon drive and useing K-Probe.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  17. c1c

c1c Regular member

Does any 1 know if having an external burner standing vertical or laying horizontal has any affect on performance?

18. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@cincyrob
    I think there is another, more extended version of the scan description directed more to the CD/DVD Speed program on 'Freaks also. I remember poring over it until my eyes glazed over (and still didn't understand!).

I didn't see(or just plain missed it) in your link any mention/explaination of PIOs. I've seen someone encounter them but I just know they are a bad thing.

And since I'm in a sharing mood, here's a new TY I that just came out the oven.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s102/hobbit112/Bandidas20a1s12xBurn16xTY.png

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

c1c I don't know much about external drives. I would think that the drive should be horizontal like the manufacturer intended unless the drive is made to "stand" up. :) The discs spin anyway you put them in there and centrifugal force should do it's part I think. ;) I would try some experimentation and see if you have any problems with recording vertically or horizontally. I would think a few scans could tell you something. :)

....gm

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK get ready for some COOL scans and some NOT so cool scans. LOL.

As most of you know I recently purchased a SATA Samsung SH-203B and LG GSA-H62N. I've "wanted" something that would give me BETTER burns and therefore better SCANS. :) IS that really possible?? Anyway the results follow. :) btw I used a Lite-on LH-18A1P for all scanning at 8X. :D

asd TDK 003 @8X QS90 Sammy

cnr TDK 003 @8X QS95 LG

gs MCC03RG20 @8X QS93 Sammy

sos TDK 003 @16X QS93 LG

th MCC 03RG20 @8X QS95 LG

wh TDK 003 @18X QS93 LG
    This one reached 17.6X... :) 5:10 to burn w/ IMGBURN

fc TDK 003 @18X QS95 Sammy This one reached 17.9X... :D 5:12 to burn w/ IMGBURN

wh RICOHJPN R03 @8X QS90 LG

wh RICOHJPN R03 @8X QS08 Sammy This is the one I mentioned earlier. :) Played ok (only one "skip" during movie) but "crashed" when the movie finished....

For some reason these drives don't like the RICOH media from what I can tell. I have some burning to do before I "decide" on the performance of the media. My friendly little docTY once told me some drives take a few burns to get accustomed to certain media. I was hoping this wasn't that media. LOL.

On the other hand they love TDK media (go figure!!!) [Don't tell creaky....hehehe]

At this point I'm pretty pleased with both drives. :D I haven't had that many burns to really give an accurate account of how the drives will perform but they are GOOD afaik. :D

...gm

almost forgot...

I did a couple of burns with the IDE drives to see if there was something up with the media and I think there is but LIKE I said I have more burning to do. :)

wh RICOHJPN R03 @8X QS90 LH-18A1P

wh RICOHJPN R03 @8X QS95 Pioneer DVR-112L v.8.21 This is why I like these drives. I may end up with a Pioneer DVR-212 before it's all over. LOL. Great drives and handle the "tuff" stuff pretty well. :D

edit: wrong numba....lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007