1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your Nero cd/dvd speed quality scans here

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

newegg well i have a 10.00 credit now. maybe i will spend it

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

My first couple burns of the new year, a older movie. had to reo it for my oldest son.. Freddy vs. Jason..the orignals were scratched up some so i ran this one through ripit4me.you all know the process with ripit4me. that fixvts is a sweet program...scans arnt super great but they are good. plus they play great so my son says..lol

this is the second disc/bonus features
    [​IMG]
    first disc movie and menu
    [​IMG]
    think ill start a thread in the saftey valve. freddy vs jason you choose...lol

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey cincyrob
    Picked up a new external LiteOn SHM-165P6S. Burning the Xmas Memorex with them.
    I'll have to post some scans :)

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@binkie7
    is that the lightscribe one? thinking seriously about getting either the new 18x or 20x litey not sure.

guess the higher ups here at AD didnt like my Feddy vs Jason Thread i started in a saftey valve. it was shut down after 4 or 5 post...:(~

5. binkie7

No not the lightscribe - don't think I'll ever use it.
    Have Lightscribe in the laptop drive but haver never used it.
    Those Epson's print real nice so no real need for it.

Yeah I'm looking at the 20x too - I put it on price alert for $32.

6. binkie7

Ok here's a scan of a Memorex Ritek's burned on the external

[​IMG]

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sweet burn. maybe i should look into a external drive.. kinda like when you were a kid and didnt wanto to play so you took your ball and went home..lol. the wife bugs me about burning when she want on the puter so ill just take my drive and boot my son off his puter and burn downstairs...lmao

thats a real nice burn.. just a little hiccup at the end there on the PIE's but looks great

8. binkie7

Including shipping from newegg it was $68. Has a $10 rebate that I have to send in so it will end up being $58.

I can do alot of burning at times so if the pc's are taken I sometimes use the laptop - main reason I got it - laptop burners just don't
    cut it :)

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Rob, you went and pissed the squirrel off, wait until Foamy starts throwing nuts at you. Kinda like his this topic sucks icon, I want one of those.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ BlivetNC yea i see that i guess certain people can do what they want cause they dont like things around here... guess im not one of the butt kissers that can do these things

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Don't take it wrong, the Fiend is an okay guy, good for ranting and raving and speaking his mind. I'm not sure who closed your post but I don't think it was him.

12. Allen42

Allen42 Member

After all of the help here, I thought I would try to give back by posting some info hoping that it might be useful to some:

I purchased the 20x LiteOn drive from newegg, and have been happy so far.

One problem is that after using lightscribe to burn a label (pretty cool, btw) is that Nero CD_DVD speed gives an error and won't run until you reboot. I've written LiteOn this morning regarding that.

I picked up a pack of the 16x Verbatim DVD+R (Taiwan), and I think I'm pleasantly surprised at the results:

This was burned at 8x:
    [​IMG]

Another interesting thing of note Nero doesn't seem to limit you to the media speed when using this drive, so I tested a burn at 20x:

This is TY03 burned at 20x:
    [​IMG]

Question: Would you be concerned sending either of these out to friends and family, expecting them to be able to play in their STBs? Is a quality score of 90 & 95 good enough?

Thanks again for all your help!

Edit: Changed to imagehosting.com for pics.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Anything above 90 is good enough, I should think.

I can't beleive there is *still* no Disk Quality support for Lg drives! I'd be interested to see what I got on a few of my burns. ;)

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

another good burn on the 16x +r verbs burnt at 12x... i think thats the sweet spot for my drive and this media
    [​IMG]

@BlivetNC.. yea kinda crappy but im just letting it go somethings a guy cant do anything about...F.I.D.O.

15. dano79

dano79 Member

Hi guys...new to this forum, but I've been burning DVDs for a while. I've been experimenting with converting and burning AVI files, and its a real trial and error process!

Anyway, I was having trouble with some burns, happened on this thread and decided to test some burns...

Burned first onto Memorex DVD-R (Memorsux...I know now) and got a quality score of 0! Burned next to Playo DVD+R and got a quality score of 64.

Both were burned at 4X or lower.

1. Should I expect lower quality scores (and higher PIEs and PIFs) since these are not original DVD rips?

2. Will burning at lower speeds (I've been choosing the lowest option which varies between 1X and 4X) increase quality?

3. I noticed a field called 'glitches removed' in the test results. Does Nero actually improve the quality of the disk?

Thanks for any and all help

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dano79, use better media like Taiyo Yuden,Verbatim or Made In Japen Maxell. you should be able to burn at 8x as long as you have the latest firmware for your drive so check that. heres a link

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  17. dano79

dano79 Member

In the future, I will get one of the brands you suggested :)

I'm not quite sure what to do with the link you provided, but I just bought this computer (Dell Dimension E521) a few months ago. The DVD writer will do up to 16X.

From what you're saying, I gather burning at speeds lower than 8X won't improve the quality any further?

Not to press...can you address any of the other questions I posted?

BTW, just scanned one of my original DVD rips...Sony DVD-R media. The movie plays great, but it only got a quality score of 43! The PI's spike quite high for about 5% of the movie, but are quite low during the rest of the movie.

18. Allen42

Allen42 Member

I had nothing but problems with my office Dell's DVD. Replaced it, and things were much better.

19. wolfy920

wolfy920 Member

Heres a scan of a burn using nero at 8x. Dosent look to bad to me. Can anyone tell me why cd-dvd scan is reporting this burned using a sony?? this was burned with my lite-on shm 165h6s Oshe

[​IMG]

20. binkie7

Hi wolfy920
    Good scan

I have no clue why Nero Scan does this. It's always done this with LiteOn for some reason for me.

If you look at the other scans from Nero that have LiteOn's - you'll see the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.