1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Calabration

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Space6982, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

I think once this problem is solved - i will be able to copy DVD's. It's weird because ive manged to recor donto a DVD-RW but im unable to record to -r, the same type as the -rw. This Power Calabration error message comes up when trying to do anything really. Does anyone have any ideas?

Space

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What make of writer, what make of DVD media nad what software are you using?

Power Calibration Error is usually because you burner lens is not clean or you use a bad quality blank DVD. Try clean your lens with an air cleaner or one of the DVD Cleaner discs. Dont use these too much. Also, buy better DVD's as the second most likely cause is bad media.

Try using different software besides the one you currently use.

3. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

Its one of those time powerstations - i thought i was buying into a great system which it is - apart from the bloody dvd burner - its crap ! the matSHITa sw9581 is the burner and the media im using is the "datawrite gen 4 (v2) yellow general purpose dvd-r, its also 2 x..... i'll see about trying to clean the lense - wot if i just stick a hoover nosel in to the drive lol ;)

Cheers
    Space

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The matshita drives arent too bad - its a panasonic really!

5. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

So you really think its just a case of cleaning the lense - i dont have to in and change ribbon cables etc ? My pc tell sme that on the secondary IDE channel the matshita is the master with DMA and autorun both on,and the slave is the Atapi DVD-rom 16x max - thats a reader, not a writer, right?? The only thing there seems to be on the primaryIDE channel is the "master ST3160021A " with a wee grey drive icon beside it.

Cheers

SpaceCowboy

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Your setup sounds right, but your getting more into Kens side of things here on afterdawn. He'll probably post here and give you his opinion. If its brand new then i dont think it needs cleaned!

7. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

Ok - cheers m8

Space

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, who woke me up... I was taking a nap!

Your primary IDE is showing your hard drive.

You might want to put the DVD-ROM onto the same cable as the hard drive; as the slave drive. Or for now just disconnect the ROM to see if it's going to make a difference.

A couple of things that might help..... what is the exact error message? Also what version of Windows are you running?

9. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

I got it working ! Just used the hoover to suck out the dust (new system shoudnt be any, buuuut) and then used the hair dryer and blew across the laser lol - crazy but it worked !!!

Space

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

(hands Chris the "Hardware Guru" hat)

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - ill take it for a day - then giv eit back to you :-(

12. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

haha, its quite unbelievable really. I was getting so annoyed! It also gave me another idea. My PS2 is fitted with a magic 3 - got it fitted when it was available amd before that i had the messiah. Anyway - the Magic chip was refusing to play CD-R discs for a while an di thought - if it can work for the PC, it can wwork for the PS2, and it did. These lasers can sure get dirty !!

Cheers all,

Space