1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power led/button, eject button schematics??

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by seamonkey, Mar 1, 2003.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

does anyone know of a place or the schematics for the front power leds and eject and power buttons? trying to use my xbox as a pc case for my new mini-itx board.

i know the led2(from top to bottom, top= positive, middle=negative) and led1(bottom = positive, middle negative).

not sure about the power, also want to try to get the eject button to open my dvd/cd-rw drive i'm using.

UPDATE: Powerbutton: the bottom two connectors are positive and top two negative; and i believe the top two on the eject is negative and bottom two are positive (not sure though)

peace
    seamonkey420

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  2. hoppers

hoppers Regular member

so your trying to put your pc in your xbox case!!!!!
    but do you have your xbox in your pc case?????

nice idea, with the mini board!

post a few pics if it works man :)

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

update on the project:

well.. i think i got the front panel led and buttons figured out.

got my dvd/cd-rw combo drive, cost me only $36 off ebay!!

gutted the xbox, going to be making a mobo tray for it, overall it seems like the xbox case should be the perfect size.. i'll probably put in a light fan where the green circle is on top of the case.

i'll post pics on my websites when i complete it. the goal is to make the pc integrated into my living room and eventually put it in my car as an all out video/audio solution along with a webcam and IR Remote. but i need to get myself a nice car.. anyone got a few extra bucks they don't need.. hehehe.. ;-)

as for putting the xbox into a pc case, i've seen it done and it looks pretty cool, i wonder if it is possible to drop an xbox and a pc into a full tower server case.. hmmm.. perhaps another project?

peace
    seamonkey420

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

5. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

WOW!!!!!

THAT IS SO SWEET!!!!!

6. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

seamonkey,

Can you give us a supply list? I'm interested in this project, but I'm not sure what all would fit in an xbox case. What are you using?

Thanks!

7. Shank69xo

Shank69xo Member

Hey seamonkey I'm interseted in a parts list to go by also.I WANT ONE. Im trying to build a rig similar to the Yoshi's Rig right now.But now I want a PC in an XBOX.

8. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

BUMP! Seamonkey! Could you help us out? :)

9. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup fellas..
    sorry i've been slow to reply.. been a bit busy at work..

as for a parts list i am using.

-Motherboard: VIA Epia M-9000
    933mhz VIA C3 cpu
    built-in VGA, MPEG2 Decoder, S-video and RCA out, 5.1 Digital Sound, LAN, Firewire, and more

-Samsung comb dvd-rom/cd-rw drive (normal pc sized)

-256 MB DDR PC2100 memory
    -40 GB Maxtor HD (3.5 inch drive)

-XBOX case (gutted completely out).
    -Original HD and DVD Drive Trays (i need these bad! does anyone have these from an old xbox i can buy??? PM if so!!) otherwise i am going to have my buddy make me a custom drive holder.
    -Front LEDS

Work so far.
    right now i am using my mobo and drives and so on in a mini-itx case i bought (got windows xp running nicely)
    -i decided that instead of trying to modify the xbox case and making new motherboard holders, i'd just make a custom motherboard tray that i could screw my mobo to and then screw into the xbox while still using the same screws and not having to drill new ones..
    ineed to work on this more, should be rather simple. my buddy has access to the equipment.

i plan on putting the mobo in so the back panel will be on the side of the xbox. i still need to get a different powersupply (need about 150 Watts to power what i have to going).

i also am going to remove the player 1 and 2 game ports and put in a USB port and Firewire port in each.

And lastly, i want to cut out the top green xbox emblem and replace it with a green lighted fan (gotta be pimp!, if i have hte space inside the xbox, perhaps a cathode light too but i might be pushing it in regards to power consumption..

i'm getting a digital camera and will post some pics on my websites..

let me know of any ideas or if anyone has an extra dvd and hard drive tray to sell!!

peace
    seamonkey420

ps i'm going to test the power leds tonight, i think i know how to get my dvd drive to open using the xbox buttons (i saw a guide to replacing the xbox dvd drive with an LG pc drive and it showed in there...)

10. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

Thanks Seamonkey!

Do you really think you can get a full sized DVD rom drive to fit in there? I have most of the supplies for me to start on my construction... but I'm also missing the power supply and the adapter for a slim line dvd drive(laptop). I'm just thinking that getting a full sized hard drive/dvd drive into that xbox case is going to be pretty tough. Not to mention how cluttered the case is going to be right? Cool I idea w/ the top blowhole... I was going to do the same thing. I'm also still searching for a power supply, I was also thinking about 150-200 watts.

Oh yeah, one more general question. Is it bad to place a hard drive right next to the power supply? The only problem would be heat right? Thanks!

11. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup..

yea, the normal dvd drive might be a challange to fit, but the normal xbox dvd drive is a normal 5.25 drive too, so we'll see..

as for harddrive next to powersupply, yea heat might be a little issue, but i don't think you'd really need to worry about it too bad since the xbox itself only has one fan on the case and one on the mobo... i'm interested to see how you do your xbox... man, i gotta get my @ss in gear and start working on this..

as for powersupply, if i find any good links to one that will fit, i'll post it here..

oh yea, no one has an extra dvd / hd tray to sell to a brother??

peace
    seamonkey420

12. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

What hard drive tray were you lookin' for? I might have one.

I think I might have found a power supply, it'll require that I take the fan out of the xbox case though.. hrms... here's the link.

http://store.yahoo.com/arkshop/flexatxpowsu.html

I think I'm goign to stick w/ the slimline dvd drive, and maybe put a top blowhole... we'll see :) I shoudl be done in a month or two :)

I also might have to cut out the place where the daughter board goes, on the inside, just cause I need more room and I want to have front
    usb ports for controllers...

I need to get my ass in gear too :p

-Doug

13. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

Hey Seamonkey,

I just found this power supply too, its one of the ones that they use for the little shuttle PCs, like the SS51G.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=17-157-003

I'll probably get this one, very good seller... newegg.com rocks :)

One more question, I need to get some of those connectors for the motherboard to the buttons on the case. I saw that you gave a little description of how to make the power/led work, but where would I be able to find the connectors so I could connect the wires to the motherboard? Or, if you could just tell me what they are called, maybe I could find them online somewhere. I don't seem to have any broken old atx computer cases that I can just snip the connectors off of :(

Thanks

14. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to say... I took the xbox case fan out... no room, with power supply:( Hopefull I'll be able to put it somewhere else.

I'm worried if I don't, I'll have major heat issues. ANyone know good case/cpu temps on the m9000 board?

Thanks

15. tolerant

tolerant Member

Over the last month I have started and finished on my computer inside an xbox. I just happened to find this thread, figured I could throw some pictures out.

I wanted more power than the C3 processor gives, so I went with a real microATX motherboard, the Intel D815EPFV(L), you can find them on ebay. I originally had planned to put a celeron 1.2 on there, but the board doesn't support that processor. I ended up using a spare P3-800mhz, for now.

I had a 40gb HD sitting around, and I have no need for a dvdrom, it's got a network card, so I can anything to it I want.

I bought an S3 Viper 2 Z220 off ebay as well, and I'm using that for the video out. Needed a right angle adapter so it would sit perpendicular to the motherboard. I got that from adexelec.com .

I couldn't find a small enough power supply to fit in there until I ran across the server 1u PSUs. I got one, the Intel ISP1100, of ebay. It works great, very small.

I cut a hole in the top of the case for a fan, and there's great airflow coming through now.

You can check out pictures of mine that I took while I was building it over on my website below. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Andrew Bennett
    http://divxbox.notjewish.com/

16. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

Thanks for the pictures. Looks cool! I guess the reason that I want a dvd drive in mine is just so it's more of a stand alone computer, that I can just pick up and take somewhere else and now have to worry about not having a drive in it for input. I'm planning to have mine networked to my other pc also, but I also would like it to be a stand alone. Another reason for the dvd drive is that I plan to use this thing for my dvd player(I don't have one yet). The via epia m9000 seemed to get some decent reviews for playin' dvds w/ it's mpeg-2 hardware decoder... we'll see how it goes. I also am goin gto make this thing into a NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. I plan to have a crapload of games on it and different emulators to run them.

I know what you mean when you say you want mor epower than the c3 processors. However, the 933mhz c3 is comparable to a 450 celly, so I guess I'll just see how it goes. The m9000 has tv out, svideo out, and a crap load of connections for the back. I'm planning on posting some pics on my website when I'm done, and I'll post them here. I've finally ordered all the pieces, so now it's just time to wait for them to come in.

Andrew- do you think you would have heat problems w/o the top blowhole? I'm considering doing that but I'm just not sure if I'm going to have enough room to put that in. If I don't, I'm only going to have 2 fans in my system, one on the c3, and one in the psu.

Btw, for those who are looking for the psu, I'm getting the replacement for the shuttle mini pcs, like the sg51. I've heard they're pretty small, and it was 40 bucks for the 200 watter.

Anyways, I'm guessing I'll have mine together in a few weeks after I get all the supplies, so I'm lookin' at about a month.

I'll let ya'll know :)

Thanks,
    Doug

17. tolerant

tolerant Member

I'm not sure if you'll have any heat problems or not Doug. The fan I have in the top of mine is way overkill. It's a Panaflo H1A. While I was testing my final product, I took the fan off the processor's heatsink and let the top one go by itself. The computer still didn't overheat, but got very close. With a good processor fan though, the air should be moving around, but you might still need some airflow overall. Most power supplies have two fans, intake and outtake, as long as you don't block the one that will be inside the case, you shoudln't have much of a problem. Also, you're dealing with a C3 processor, those don't get hot in the least; unless of course you're trying to passively cool it.

I guess we have different purposes/applications for our project. I needed a small machine I could use as a HTPC (home theater PC), to play divx and other movies off of. Most of that stuff I don't have on cd, it's on my machine, I just need to network it down. Also, I'd transfer it all over to the DivXBox and then go over to a friend's or something. If I was using it for games, it would need that cd-drive, just to be able to load new games and play games that have cds and what-not.

Good luck.

-Andrew

18. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

Dang, I was just thinking, and I don't think I have any of the connectors I need to connect the buttons to the motherboard. I have some old cases but the connectors look different, what are the connectors that hook the buttons/leds from the case to the motherboard called?

19. Doug3737

Doug3737 Member

So i've got all my stuff now... EXCEPT I still need the stinkin' connectors so I can connect the xbox buttons to the mini-itx board.. where can i get those at?

20. tolerant

tolerant Member

the molex connector from the front of the xbox doesn't work exactly with the headers on any motherboard except the one originally in the xbox.

That's why this thread was originally started, to find what each pin of the xbox connector was for. Once you find which is which, you need to move the pins from the molex connector to a normal header connector like you'd find on another case. And then you can plug that directly into your itx mobo.