1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POWER SOURCE FRIED!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MORDAJ, Mar 18, 2004.

1. MORDAJ

MORDAJ Member

So yesterday my power source decided to fry on me for no reason. I was wondering since I have a 400W power source if I could put in one with a lower wattage because I have one laying around. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. forkman

forkman Member

It will work just fine, you only need a larger Psu if your running lots of components.
    Ie 2 hard drives,2 roms loads of fans and so on.

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I guess it would also depend on what the wattage is. For example 230 W will not be enough.

Also, if you are using a Pentium 4 you will need the extra power outlet that newer power supplies have for the CPU. (4 prong square plug)

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Another thing to remember is that not all power supplies put out as many watts as they claim. Cheap power supplies often have a lower output than they are rated at, and many times good brands actually have a higher than rated output.

When I was teaching A+ certification classes (a couple of years ago), a student of mine found a good web page for determining what wattage PS you need based on your components. I don't remember the address, but you might want to see if you can find something like that.

5. niteman

niteman Member

Try www.tomshardware.com, they had a test between 12 PSU and alot of links. If I'm not mistaking one was to calculate your approximate W usage.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I must be blind or something because I don't see it on that page.

7. niteman

niteman Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004