1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

this thread is only for psu's with pros & con's with maybe approx prices.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I was strongly considering the Rosewill PSU -->Here
    But having owned the Thermaltake -->Here
    The Thermaltake definitely takes the cake. Heck, I would be a fool to buy anything else LOL! The thermaltake is well over 2000 reviews. Very few items if any hit that on newegg :)

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good to see O-man7 is already here. lol.

Yep the Thermaltake is much better O-man7. :) Did you get the post I made with all the suggestions? NONE of those are bad and for your needs I'm sure will work. The one that krj came up with is a winner too. I like Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, some Cooler Masters, some Antecs, Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, and a few others but those are normally good choices depending on the psu.... I think that Corsair and PC Power & Cooling make about the best FULL line of psu's a fella can get. ;)

....gm

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sammorris' recommended PSU list

Basic Office/light system, Dual core CPU up to 95W, up to three hard disk drives, up to Eco graphics cards (HD4670):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151055

Standard level system, up to midrange gamer, Quad core CPU and midrange graphics card (single 6-pin connector only), up to 6 HDDs:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

High level gaming system, any CPU, up to 2 GPUs (max 2x6 or 6+8 power connectors), up to 8 HDDs:
    Modular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001
    Non-Modular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Very High spec game system, any single CPU, up to 4 GPUs:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379007

Anything above:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Subscribed.

I won't be in the market for a PSU for a very long time, however eventually i'll be building a new PC around the RMA'd MSI P35 Platinum mobo, 2GB Crucial Ballistix and Supermicro SC-750A case.
    For a PSU i'd most likely choose another Corsair model as my current HX 620W "just works" and no doubt will keep working for a long time to come (unlike various PSU's that "just didn't work for very long" on various mobo's/builds in the SC-750A over the years).

Don't know which model i'd pick for the future build, suffice it to say it'd be another modular one. My requirements never include anything over a basic graphics card (i only even buy a basic card if the mobo in question doesn't have onboard video) so for me a PSU would only ever have to power half a dozen/up to a dozen hard drives and a smattering of optical drives plus a Quad Core CPU of some description (the current 620W PSU is way over what i need currently, i just like having loads of headroom)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I REALLY appreciate your suggestions GM :) My mom is willing to spend as much as 40, and having owned the Thermaltake...plus its the cheapest with shipping. I definitely have a winner. :) Thanks to all concerned!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Corsair HX units are fabulous, I ran a much more power hungry system than yours off the model down, the 520.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The Corsair units are getting VERY VERY strong reviews. I may just have to check them out next time :D

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're also quieter than the 80mm-based units from Seasonic, Antec and Thermaltake.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7 you gotta watch Sammy as his hearing is better than anyone I've ever met. lol. BUT yes the Corsair units are very quiet. I have the VX-550 and it does wonderfully with me little AMD dual core system. ;)

...gm

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, put it this way, the fan in my server's earthwatts 380W reaches 2000rpm on occasions. The Corsair's fan may be bigger at 120mm, but it never broke 1000 when powering a system that uses three times as much power.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Some people may be interested to know, that newegg themselves have a PSU calculator. It can give one an estimate as far as just how much wattage or amps they will need :)
    http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

EDIT - looks like they need to update it for core i7 and Phenom II

EDIT # 2 - PSU calculators are simply a tool, and should not be taken TOO seriously. Especially if it doesnt have the required info to give an accurate answer. E.G. NEEDS UPDATED to contain current hardware!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So the graphics only go as far as the HD2900 series and don't consider SLI? I'd avoid it.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As I said, they need to update it LOL! Though I just tried it going for extreme power, and it suggested 838W!!! Im only running 700W And I think I may have underestimated where I'll be in a few weeks with a new vid card. I may wanna consider 1000W??? perhaps a solid corsair LOL!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With an 8600GT? Please tell me you're joking. I wouldn't mind betting I could run your PC off my Antec Earthwatts, overclock and all.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 8800GTX doesn't use that much more power than those two, maybe 30-40W at DC, so 55-60 at the most at a.c.
    IIRC, the 8800GTX came out before the HD2900s anyway.
    With an OCZ GameXStream who knows, they're not the best PSUs out there. I'd place them no higher than Coolermaster in the grand scheme of things, above the swamp but still dirty.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ehhh...its running everything I have, and not hot at all! Believe me though, having seen the Corsair reviews, I believe PSU's are their bread and butter.
    Corsair is to PSU's
    as Western Digital is to HDD's. AT LEAST IN MY eyes! To each his/her own of course :) Some people like CM, others do not. Some people like seagate, others do not.

The calculator was simply to give me SOME idea. Just a little fun, not to be taken TOO seriously :)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

WD are HDD #1 in my mind because they're the only company that really take quiet hard drives seriously. Seagate and Maxtor haven't really ever bothered, and Samsungs vibrate so much you have to treat them like the royal family to stop them causing irritating resonance. Corsair aren't the only company to make proper quiet PSUs, but they were one of the first, and use less agressive fan controllers than Seasonic, who produce their internals (does not include TX series or HX1000). The quietest PSU you can buy nowadays is a Nexus, but they are a dutch company (know for making nothing but silencing products) who only ship to europe. Good news for me, bad news for you guys (Sorry). The closest you can get to them is an Enermax Modu82+, which have Enermax's trademark high quality appearance, low quality engineering, premium quality price.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member