1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TX units still seem OK for now, but the new CX units are garbage.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

TX will always be my back up plan, if i don't have the budget for either HX or the ZM

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

That is very disappointing. Seems like everyone is trying to churn out the cheapest product possible these days.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes I agree... almost everyone is trying to cut corners instead of supplying the consumer with a worthy product and superior service. It's a shame, really it is!!! :(

5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

they just want to make money now, they are more for quantity over quality~ its quite sad...

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Easily. The CX units haven't fared well at the moment, lots of reports of them failing short term. The Antec units seem a lot better this time round.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The reviews certainly speak for themselves ;) Too bad. Corsair have had my respect for sometime now. Now they remind me of Asus. Well...perhaps not that bad LOL!

I see that it does not come with a power cord. Rather silly, but ok. I of course have spares lying around. Probably 4 - 5 of them :S

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, if Asus made PSUs I'd run for miles, but at least Corsair haven't got that bad yet. The TXV2 units are meant to be reasonable.

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I bought a used psu and the seller accidentally shipped me a 800w OCZ elite X stream instead of the one I 'ordered'. Any reason I would want to avoid this psu? The reviews I read were mostly positive so for as little as I paid I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of returning.

Thanks,

redmaw

edit: user reviews seem to be pretty bad actually

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  11. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Power supplies with brand names are rarely designed and assembled by them.

With all the garbage in my PC I also only use a 800w supply. Mine has been humming along since 12/09.

The only real way to know if a PS lives up to their marketing hype is to read up on tested supplies.

Tom's Hardware did/do testing on a bunch of supplies at one time. It's surprising how many so-called 1000w + supplies fail below their sticker wattage compared to much lower rated supplies.

Quality vs marketing BS.

Jeff

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I owned an OCZ for a time. 700W GameXstream I believe. It seemed to handle my array of components. My GPU being the most hungry. Now I have a Corsair. I knew when I held it in my hands the first time, that I had a quality power supply ;) Before my current Corsair, I had a 550 watt Corsair. I believe I was bordering on tapping the potential, so I upgraded to my current. The only way I could tax my current would be to run 2 very hungry GPU's in Sli/Crossfire. The 550W stayed in my old Secondary PC, which I sold to a work Buddy.

The reason I sold the OCZ, was because I believed it could be a problem with my overclocking. It was not. A user here on afterdawn probably still has it, if it's still running. You still using that PSU Russ? It seems like you may have told me once upon a time, that it ultimately failed.