1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wattage is maximum power throughput. The only thing with heat is the more watts something uses, the more heat it creates (since electrical energy in PCs is 99% turned into heat energy). This comes out of the components that use the power, not the PSU itself. The PSU does produce heat however through efficiency loss. Cheap and/or old PSUs like that Thermaltake are only 70-75% efficient, which means 25-30% of their max 300W will be ADDED in additional power drawn from the socket, and generated as heat in the power supply. At 300W D.C. load, that's 75-90W of heat generated in the PSU. It's worth noting that a lot of new PSUs especially in europe with 220-240V supply are nuding 90% efficient for a wide range of loads. A good 850W PSU like a Zalman may only be wasting the same 75-90W at 700W load.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Hey guys I have a question about the power supply in my server. The server is an hp ML 150 G3 and it has the stock 650 watt psu. I want to replace it with my corsair 450 because it runs really hot, is really big and the cables are setup weird. But I dont know if it is a proprietary psu or not. I have heard about big manufacturers using proprietary parts in their computers so that you had to buy replacements from them. Is there any way to find this out? I called hp customer support and they could not give me an answer.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's difficult to tell other than to try it. I didn't have any luck with a basic HP Compaq system for home use, that did have a proprietary unit.

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I would try it but I'm afraid that it might short the board out or something. Its a nice dual 771 board and I don't want to ruin it. Did you damage anything with the computer you tried it on?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I couldn't really hook it up, it didn't fit in the case, so I never tried. Put the old unit back, kept the replacement for myself and cut the price of the upgrade to the customer. Its replacement PSU is the Earthwatts 380W I now run in my server... :)

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Well I guess I will just have try it. The psu I have in my server now doesn't fit. I bought a new rack mount case that can hold 9 hdd's and I could not get the psu in correctly. I had to break a little piece off and not the psu just sits in the spot but is not screwed in.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, considered that, but in my case it was completely the wrong size.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Did you try turning it upside down?? Sometimes that's the way they are supposed to be mounted in the case. ;) Just thinking out loud really. :)

...gm

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

The power supply is bigger than a normal psu and would not fit. I had to break off a little bracket just to get it into the slot. also the screws dont line up so I cant secure it in the case.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well that sux don't it?? lol. Sorry to hear mate... maybe you can try something like eBay.com for a "fit"?

...gm

11. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

here is a few pictures to show you how it fits in the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you look at the last picture on the left hand side there are two little brackets sticking out. I had to break one off on the right side in order to get the psu in there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

krj... You're wanting to install the 450W psu in the server?? I re-read the info and now I'm confused... that doesn't take much really. Ask Sammy. lol. If you're trying to install the 650W and it's big but "fits" the hole I'd see about drilling some holes in the case if you can. IF this option is possible I'd make DANG sure to remove the mobo and fans to help control the "metal shavings". Again... just an idea.. good luck buddy. ;)

...gm

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Yes I want to install the 450 watt. I don't like the stock psu because as you can see in the picture it doesn't fit. Also it runs really hot. I would have no problems putting the corsair 450 in there but I don't know if HP used a proprietary psu in their server. Sometimes they change the psu a little so that you can only use their replacement parts. My concern is that I would put in a non HP psu and I would fry the motherboard.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ok.. now that you've spoken slowly and precisely I understand. ;) Would a voltage test tell you anything?? Do you have a meter or a unit that will hook up to the original PSU?? That might help in some way.... The only other source is Google (or other search engine) or one of the guys that may have messed with such "kit" before. I would think that Sophocles, sytyguy, Russ (theonejrs), or maybe Lp531 would have messed with that.. Since Sammy already gave his answer I didn't mention him. ;)

again.... good luck mate. ;)

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I don't think a voltage test would tell me much. I also don't have the hardware to do that so I will try a little more googling. Thanks for the help :)

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if the wire colors are the same on both units.

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Thanks ddp. The 24 pin and the 4 pin cpu were both the same. But there is a second 8 pin cpu cable on the stock psu that is not the same. they might have just used a different color because the cables were arranged in the same way but one color was off. Do you think that I even need that 8 pin cpu cable because I already use the 4 pin and have only one cpu on the motherboard?

18. ddp

is the 8 pin connector used?

19. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Yes, it is plugged in, but I don' know if I even need it.

20. ddp

disconnect it to see if pc posts or not.