1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

No it doesn't, It powers on for half a second then powers off.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if you put the old PSU back in does it work?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For reference, the Compaq PSU I had to stick with had identical wiring output to a standard ATX unit like the Corsair, the only wiring difference with that system was how the front panel wires hooked up to the motherboard. A quick scissor job to snip off the extra plastic and no worries hooking an MSI board up instead.

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I never took the original psu out. I simply unpluged the 8 pin cpu connector to see if it would boot. I will try swapping out the psu's soon and I will let you guys know if it worked.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha nice. 430W. Maybe 30W would be more accurate?

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Corsair 400W units are strong. They're equivalent to 500-600W of a Coolermaster or Thermaltake, are quieter, more reliable and have better power regulation, all for $50! For rebate nutters there's another $10 off to be had.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW NOW.. the PowerPro series from Cooler Master aren't that bad. :p And "nutters".... that one made me giggle. lol. ;)

Corsair does make a nice unit and will be ONE of the psu manufacturers I consider when I need to purchase another one.;)

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not suggesting the Coolermasters are terrible, but the Corsair is superior in the aspects mentioned.
    Interestingly enough, the Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W fares well under light load at 14dB (versus the 15-16 of Corsair VX/HX units) but ramps up to a 18dB at 200W, and a full 25 by 250W.
    My 850W Zalman however is able to keep 14dB all the way up to 400W, and only reaches 20-21dB by 500W. By the time it's as noisy as 25dB it can produce 550W.

The Nexus Value I've just ordered for project Silentlight is only 11dB up to 150W (inclusive), and is only 19dB at its full 430W load.

Corsair HX units manage 16dB up to 300W, then reach 22-23 by 400W. At 25dB they can achieve 430-440W. Meanwhile the Corsair VX450 (quieter than the 550) achieves 15-16dB up to 250W, 20dB up to 300W, then sharply rises reaching a frankly unpleasant 38-39dB at 400W. 25dB level produces around 320-330W (Yep, the lowly Corsair VX can produce 70-80W more than the quietest 700W Coolermaster at an acceptable noise leve)

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow...you really are a silent Pc enthusiast! Nothing wrong with that :D Myself, as long as its with in reason, im happy. Where does one find the means for testing noise levels in a computer?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Me personally, I can tell roughly how loud something is, and on top of that, I know if something's too loud! For accurate readings, I refer to benchmarks, but mostly silentpcreview. The results I've posted aren't perfect accuracy as they switched from one testing method to another a little while back, but they're vaguely right.
    A typical 'quiet PC' by most people's definition would be a total noise produced of about 30-32dB or less. A typical 'near silent' PC would be around 20-22dB. Getting below that is hard, but that is what I hope to achieve with Project Silentlight, which entails using solely mid-performance Eco Hard drives, Passive or ultra-low speed CPU & GPU cooling, the world's quietest midrange PSU, and some of the quietest case fans you can buy. The system is basically going to be of equivalent performance to a high-end Core 2 Duo, 8800GT, 4GB of RAM and will have a terabyte hard disk. Not bad performance for a PC with only $600 worth of parts and an expected noise level circa 15-17dB. Building a silent PC needn't be expensive or look bad, it just needs to have the right parts :)

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

id hardly call the green WD mid performance, rather low.

other wise for 1680x1050 thats a near perfect system (just choose vista over XP and its perfect :))

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually, outside seek time, they are above average for performance, the WD10EADS can HDTach at over 90MB/s. The seek time brings it down to midrange. Early 7200rpm drives were scarcely any better for Seek time than the Greenpowers are. Were it the EACS or EAVS in my server, I'd say below average, but the DS is a better performer, one less platter and all that.

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Good news. I just tested the corsair power supply with my server and it works. Now I just have to take out the old one and redo all of the wiring.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...As some of you know, ive Grossly overestimated my current PSU! Its becoming unstable during a CPU Overclock adventure LOL! While some people dont think 11.88V is incredibly low, With this PSU I believe it is. Probably because its less than what it says it is. If it were a Corsair running slightly low, perhaps I wouldn't be quite so uncertain. But this is a brand(OCZ) thats not often talked about! It was a good buy, as well as WAY within the Spec I needed at the time. Now im not so certain. If you fine people like, you can TELL me to buy a paticular type of PSU. Im open to suggestion. I just want a PSU thats gonna perform without hitch! You know...the FREAK of the trade LOL! I dont wanna spend more than 200-300$

What do you think of this one? Ok, Ok, perhaps im becoming a BFG fanboy LOL!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702015
    But you gotta admit, this sucker has some serious power capability!!!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

BFG don't actually make PSUs, they just buy other units (and not just OEMs, they're almost identical to retail ones too) and up the price. Please tell me you're joking about a 1200W PSU... haha.

To be honest, while the PSU is a possibility, I'm still not certain. It may simply be that the slightly lower output voltage means that Vdroop is slightly worse. If you raise the CPU voltage setting by maybe 0.02-0.03V you may well be able to compensate for it.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the BFG new PSUs are getting very good reviews.

Estuansis used a 600W OCZ tu run a heavily OCed Phenom II X4 CPU and 2 4870s aswell.

im suer the PSU is probably fine, how old is it kevin?

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm...I may have deleted the email, regarding a reply post. Sorry about that.

I bought the supply back in december of last year. Its been in one other rig, for a short time.

You know...I just wanna be absolutely sure that im not hurting a component. 1200W means nothing to me, if it does indeed put out A LOT of amperage! 40amps per rail is quite impressive, IF thats not exaggerating LOL!

As a few of you already know, I may be looking into an alternative PSU for my Graphics card. -----> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...scription=Independent/Supplementary&x=22&y=31
    I dont take coincidences lightly. Seeing the 12v Rail drop immediately after supplying the CPU with more voltage, tells me something is not right LOL! Surely by disconnecting the GPU, it will effect the PSU at least a little. I dont know much about PSU's, but if each Rail supplies amperage, from its own source, then perhaps it wont effect the CPU's Rail. That in itself is very curious. Guys, I dont wanna worry anymore that my equipment may be underpowered, or that my PSU may be stressed...

EDIT - Well...I think I have my answer. I just unplugged a HDD, and it effected it by .04 - .06V! Apparently, despite being separate rails, it WILL effect the other rails. Then why in the heck, dont they simply call it ONE 72Amp Rail!!!

LOL, you probably think im QUITE silly.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Independent GPU power supplies are rubbish, they are no more than the equivalent of cheap PSUs plugged in secondary to the main one, and cheap PSUs are bad. Just because your "700W" OCZ isn't powerful enough you're going overboard. Buy one of these and have done with it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379007
    I've had 900W out of this briefly without any unusual activity. It runs a 700W system with ease, making no noise at all, and is very efficient. Your system as the signature specifies is about 280W.