1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well Son-of-a-Biscuit eater!!! There's FREE shipping on that thing now!! I bought it last week and it should be here Wednesday or Thursday!! :D I bought it for a little AMD X2 machine. I have a VX550 on one AMD and this little 400W is going for the other. ;)

I picked up a "all-in-1" card reader too. I'll report on it when I get it in. ;)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No personal experience with the 400CX. If it's anything like any of the other low end Corsairs it'll be pretty quiet at a low load.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...if its even a little better than the 430W thermaltake I had, then i'll be impressed. That Thermaltake is a tough little sh*t! I had lots of devices hooked up to it at one point, and it never got noisy, and it never got hot. Im sure it will serve me well :) I dont plan on running more than the essentials to it. Couple Burners(Maybe Bd-Rom), the asus 8600GT, 5200 athlon, thats pretty much it. Only one or two Hdd's. Haven't decided yet. I have been considering an SSD (Maybe 2), for its OS. We'll see LOL!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you only ever hooked up an 8600GT to it, no wonder it didn't get hot, the 8600GT uses about 40 Watts. Remember my HX520 was near-silent when running a 3.87Ghz Q9550, HD4870X2 and three HDDs.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That is quite impressive! :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and of course when I say near silent, I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot quiet than that Thermaltake...

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

actually, I think this new build of mine is more noisy than the MSI barebone that I used last. Which employed the Thermaltake. I rarely heard its noises. I think the dvd drives made the majority of the noises. My new build is still WAY acceptable though. Im so NOT picky that its unreal LOL! Im pretty easy to please in most aspects of...things LOL! Movies, technology, you name it.

Though I have had the cover off of this new build, cause im running transfers to an IDE drive(adapted to USB), and since im limited on options in that arena... LOL! Simply put, im lazy and haven't gotten around to it.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cover off = BIG noise change. My main PC is selectively inaudible in a room (i.e. you genuinely can't hear it unless you actually listen for it) yet with the cover off, it's clearly audible at all times, even if still very quiet.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeed LOL! I really need to clean this room, and get this computer set up and LEAVE IT alone LOL! Then it'll purr like a kitten, while doing things STUPID fast LOL! Sorry, still overly excited about this CPU! :D

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha!!! The Corsair 400W is here! They have to have underrated it. Its bulky(has some mass). I LIKE IT! I haven't even plugged it in, and I like it already :D

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Same here.. got here last night as I was walking out the door!! I agree.. they have RATED it properly in the fact that a PSU should be able to handle a little more than stated.. JM2ยข on the deal. ;)

12. david94

david94 Regular member

Sorry if i have come to the wrong thread for this but i have made a custom built pc for the first time and i dont know how much power i need to power it. Because im only 15 and aint got no job i am getting slow on making it but i have the basic parts

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard

OCZ Gold edition

and 3 PC case fans

if anyone could tell me how powerful the PSU needs to be that would be much appreciated

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you havr rom drives, hard drive & videocard?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The graphics card is the most important factor above all else. We can't tell you what PSU you need without knowing that.

15. david94

david94 Regular member

that was the next thing i was going to buy but i was looking at the nVidia GTX 295

Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung HD103UI

Im not sure what make but im getting 2 DVD Drives

Audigy Sound Card (Not sure What One)

Edimax Wireless LAN 32-bit PCI Card

this is just a rough thought but the PC is too powerful for the PSU

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would recommend against the GTX295. The HD4870X2 is much better value for money and offers more consistent performance.
    A PC with these components I would recommend at least a Corsair TX 650W.

17. david94

david94 Regular member

thank you so much for your help,

but just one question, if you have a PSU more powerful than you PC will it mess it up ior will it just use the power that is needed

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have heard arguments in those regards. But, I doubt it. A power supply, supplies both what it needs to, and most importantly, what it can!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, it will do no harm - it is simply a case of the PSU can produce that much power, it doesn't unless it is necessary. I would strongly advise you to choose a good brand though. Corsair, Seasonic and Zalman are the brands I usually recommend.

20. david94

david94 Regular member

thanks again for your help