1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies...

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xChronox, Jun 17, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

because it has nothing to do with PSUs :D

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well true, but I didn't start the discussion :p

4. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Yes, but you are forgetting, this is a free country, and this discussion stemmed off of another one :).

I thought that there was something fishy with windowed mode, but then I ran fullscreen TF2, had the same FPS as windowed. Hmmm.

Meh.

5. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I killed the guys under the embankment and I never got that bug :eek:

And whilst bioshock is great, the Half Life universe is better me thinks ;) Though Bioshock 2 looks very good (with the backstory) - but the fact Bioshock plays better with a 360 controller than a mouse and keyboard means it should automatically be outlawed :p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

TF2's an unknown quantity though, it's CPU-limited to quite a low frame rate anyway. My X2s don't work very hard at all playing it, and the fps isn't great.
    Agreed on the HL universe, Bioshock was quite a cool game, but I didn't think it was exceptional.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

umm this is not a country, this is a forum, please stay on topic before a mod closes the whole thread down.

8. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

So, power supplies, eh?

(Have i talked about them enough yet for this to not be off-topic ^.^)

So, anyway, Sam, you said above about in windowed mode how it didn't step up to 3D clocks... Did you mean that just for STALKER? Cos;

[​IMG]

9. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

It was a joke. And I don't see why a Moderator would shut this down, it's based off the original discussion, anyway.

When I say things like "Best Game Ever Made" I'm usually over-exagerating, I'm usually just saying it as a joke or sometimes I'd use it as sarcasm for a really bad game. But this time I wasn't kidding.

I've played all the Valve games, Half Life, Half life 2, Portal, Teamfortress 2, even the old HL1 games like Ricochet and Team Fort Classic.

I've played many, many many other games too. And really, I think Bioshock IS the best game I've ever played.

SURE, I've only played about half or 3 quarters of it because my saves keep getting wiped out (Formatting, Errors, etc..) but to me, it's invaluable.

I've always loved the idea of a city under the sea or some kind of forbidden or unknown place noone has ever seen or heard of, I loved the story of Atlantis, and Bioshock isn't exactly the same as it, but it's like it, and it's strange and you never know quite what's going on. You just fall from a plane and end up swimming to this place. A bit like Lost.

The graphics are very impressive, even now. The water effects are amazing and to be honest I'd prefer Bioshock's graphics over Crysis' ones. Bioshock's Graphics are kind of Chunky, kind of unique in a way. It isn't trying to be realistic but it's different, If you know what I mean, and it isn't a PC-Whore like most new games that have come out now.

But just, the music, the environment, the story, everything just mixes so well together. The way you pick up Diaries of different characters along the way, the Big Daddies and the different enemies..

I compare Fallout 3 and Bioshock together all the time, wondering which one is better, I deemed Fallout 3 best FPS game of 2008 and Bioshock best FPS game of 2007. But recently I decided to pit their aspects together to see who would win.

Fallout 3 also has one of my favourite ideas for a game or a story ever, a nuclear fallout and a massive open-environment you can explore and find strange things. The way both games reminisce the past, like Bioshock is in 194x but Fallout is in the future but you constantly hear old music is a plus also.

But I don't think Fallout 3 executed it well enough. It's awesome, but not "fun" if you know what I mean. It's hard to kill enemies and it takes you like 90 shots if you don't use VATS. You run out of bullets and you can pick up like every item in the known universe, why would you want a piece of burnt toast?

But after a while that isn't a case and you get bigger and better guns and level up.

I'm rambling on now, sorry to go off-topic but I'm done for the gaming discussions.

Back to power supplies!

2x 4870x2's, 1x 2TB HDD.

1000w HX Corsair, can it handle it?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It might be to do with vista/Win7 and/or DX10 then, because it was certainly the case with XP.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good to see we're back to PSU's. Some off-topic is always tolerated but let's please try and refrain from doing it in the first place..

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Chrono: When I returned to Bioshock not so long ago I realised how the mind makes you think things were better than they were. I always thought the graphics in Bioshock were amazing when I played it back in 2007, but comparatively speaking nowadays, they're alright but nothing special, the fire effects are about the only still nice thing about it.
    I also like the whole underwater environment. I'm not sure the time setting of it is to my liking but the environment was nice enough.
    I agree with your criticisms of Fallout 3, but want to have a go at it at some point. I just keep not getting round to it.

For two X2s and a single HDD, a HX 850W would be ample. Depending on what CPU you had, a 750 would probably be fine. For PSUs this high end though, I much prefer Zalmans to the Corsairs. Just make sure yours comes with a power cable, mine didn't.

13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I loved Bioshock's story - but Half Life 2 being the only game I've played through all the way more than once has to be a testiment to how good it really is :)

On topic; I like the calculator on the Corsair site, hats off to them for not recommending more than you need, which is what a lot of companies do...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, but wait, deja vu?

15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I remember you meantioning the calculator once, but I can't remember what you said, just felt like including my own opinion :D

16. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Haha, Deja Vu indeed.

Yeah QFT on the whole "I want to have a go at Fallout 3" thing. I think I might just dedicate a whole week, maybe 2 weeks of Fallout 3 when I upgrade. It definitely holds the RPG element dear, that's for sure...

Really, an 850? I was reading an article about a PC this guy built and he had 3x8800 Ultra's with a 1200w PSU (it's an old article), so I wondered for a second there O_O.

To be honest, after going through all of these Corsair PSU pages and getting all this advice, I think that when someone builds a PC they should just go ahead and get a 1000w HX. Then they'll NEVER have to upgrade, not for years, anyway. It definitely saves money too. Buying a 450w, then going to 600, then 750, then 1000, costs quite a bit.

On another note, I was thinking about selling my Power Supply, Memory and Graphics Card when I upgrade, I'm going to use eBay if I can't find anything else Popular and for Hardware..

This is what I'm pricing it at -

Sapphire HD3850 512MB Pro - £60
    2GB Corsair Dual-Channel (2x1GB) 800MHz 5-5-5-18 - £15
    Corsair 450w VX - £50

Prices include Shipping, (I'm not trying to sell them here, just in case that's against the rules and a mod thinks I'm trying to)

Does anyone think does prices are fair?

17. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I'd buy the RAM :)

There's buy and sell sections on afterdawn, you know :p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With PSUs, you have to remember, people are noobs. They run single GTX260s with kilowatt PSUs because their old 600W Qtec, Rosewill or (insert terrible brand here) PSU went bust.
    The HX1000 is really expensive, so you shouldn't just tell everyone to buy one regardless. There are people out there who use 1200W PSUs for systems that only use 300W simply because they have no clue how much power stuff really uses. I had no trouble running my 4870X2 and heavily overvolted quad core off a 520W HX, and would still have no issues today if I hadn't upgraded.
    Three 8800 Ultras I'd recommend a 1KW PSU simply for connector reasons, but you don't actually need 1000W of power.
    As for the upgrade paths, that only happens if people upgrade because they're scared. I could run two of your PCs off a 400W CX, let alone the 450 VX you have. It'd be tight, but doable, probably end up about 330-340W at the unit.
    Those prices are ridiculously unrealistic for that hardware though, the HD3850 is worth about £30-£35, the RAM is about right, but the PSU is worth £40 tops.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

xChronox, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 6 lines of text.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

20. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

ddp - sorry, fixed.

sam - You advised me to buy a 450wVX when I bought my sys back in 08 :p.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the prices. I didn't know because I haven't actually looked far. I'll do £40 for the PSU, £5 shipping (The thing is heavy) and £40 (Including Shipping) for the Card.

Also, Call of Juarez (The first one) is probably the game with the best graphics my GPU can run at max, it runs at about 30 min 60 max fps and tbh it doesn't feel that awkward after you get used to it.