1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supply Wattage Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ken_919, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I currenty have a 420W power supply. I was thinking about upgrading to a Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply. What is the difference between the wattage in the power supply? Also, do you have to buy a specific type of power supply for your computer or can you basically buy any one. Does anyone have a Thermaltake power supply?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

ken_919

If I am reading this right, you now have a 420W and are wanting to purchase a 480W Power Supply? If this is correct then of course the difference is 60 additional watts. The 480W will handle 4 amps of current and the 420W will handle 3.5 amps of current.

Description:
    This Thermaltake PurePower Housing is designed for AMD K7 and Intel ATX +12V 1.1 and ATX 2.03 version(Fully Support Pentium 4). In additional to the Active PFC, Silent Purepower 480W power supply unit is also equipped with advanced Temperature Control Technology. This enables the power supply unit to operate at its maximum capability while keeping the noise level down to an impressive 17dBA during normal operation.

3. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

Thanks! When I asked "what's the difference between the wattage in the power supply" I meant that, is more wattage better to have? Sorry if I made it kind of confusing.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

No problem. I thought I was nice about how I phrased it. :) Did I answer your questions completely?

5. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

Yes, you pretty much answered my questions and I also did some research on the web to look into the wattage on power supplys. Thanks for all of your help ScubaBud.