1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ difference between the 2

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by korso55, Jul 16, 2006.

1. korso55

korso55 Regular member

i saw the other day a blu ray player on display at bestbuy but not the hd dvd player. I was wondering since the hd dvd is half the price of the blu ray player, is there is a difference at all in the picture quality...if not i will go with hd dvd...i know that the blu ray player can hold more information but is that the only difference?what are the benefits of that?

all i care about is the best high def picture quality

is it true that the playstation 3 will include a blu ray player and will cost only $600?will this player be as good quality as the standard blu ray?

thanks

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

there are some threads that answer all of those questions you asked, the only question i dont know if it was answered is the question about, will the PS3 be as good quality as a standard blu ray player, i asked a similar question only it asked if the 360 would play hd dvds (with the external drive of course) as good as a standard player, so i would recomend that you just read this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357160 and it should answer most of your questions

3. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Those are really good questions that can only be answered when the PS3 and the 360 add on come out. I personally would not use the Samsung for comparison as it has chip issues (which may be corrected later). I plan to do a comparison b/w the PS3 and either the Sony or the Pioneer standalone. I think it will boil down to a comparison b/w software decoding in the PS3 and hardware decoding in the standalones. For HD-DVD the current Toshiba player is already considered a good performer and the question is will the 360 add on be as good. The problem with the 360 add on is that it will be limited to an analog connection as the 360 does not have HDMI. Also watch out for reviews on the internet and in print media.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2006
  4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

True the 360 does not have HDMI, but I herd that they were planning to come out with an add on HDMI cable around the time the external HD-DVD drive comes out. But then again I also read an artical from people that had seen a demo of the of the HD-DVD drive connected to the 360, and they said when they looked behind it to see how it was connected they only saw component cables. Then when they asked someone from Microsoft how they planned to use the HD-DVD drive without the picture quality being downgraded due to HDCP they simply replyed "if Sony is not" refering to Sonys cheaper 20GB model that doesnt use HDMI but plays Blu Ray.