1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere trails on videos

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rpersad, May 19, 2007.

1. rpersad

rpersad Member

Hello,

I have a 4 min video that I am trying to publish using Premiere Pro. Problem is that it seems as though no matter what settings I use I get ghosting trails on my fast moving images.

Can any of you recomend settings that could get rid of these trails without having a file size too large? Could there be a problem with my frames per second settings?

2. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

have you tried a plugin called steady move( pro )you can play with some of the settings there, it can clean up some motion blur problems like zoom blur. I could look around for more suggestions but since I can't really see the problem, it's hard. Perhaps, if you render to avi then use another Encoder...like TMPGenc it has Motion Search Options for correcting noise and ghost artifacts like that.

3. rpersad

rpersad Member

Hello- thanks for your reply.

Thing is, the original video does NOT have these trails- its only when I export to the video that it appears.

I've tried quicktime, wmv and mpg at a variety of high and low settings- same result...

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

hmmm, so when making this sequence did you "rate stretch" any of that raw footage? and the framerate of the source video matches your final project settings? and when you rendered, did the preview show this stuff? perhaps instead of Exporting after rendering you could save the movie as DV or AVI and encode that through another encoder besides the MainConcept Encoder...this way you could check for those "ghost trails" before encoding to mpeg.

5. rpersad

rpersad Member

Hello,

I did rate stretch, however, I tried using the video at normal speed- no fix.

The framerate of the source is 15- I cant seem to find a way to get the project settings to match this- the closest I can get is 24fps. However- when I export, I set the fps to 15- still no go.

In the premiere preview (while I am editing) there are NO trails- only when I export do they appear.

I tried exporting to a AVI file- nearly 2 gigs, but still trails!

Help!

6. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Do you have a simple application called G-Spot( can't seem to recommend this enough) it will show you the framerate of your video...
    15fps? what did you shot(with a camera) at 15fps? even most old movie cameras(pre '60) were at least 20fps. I'm missing something here-I'm not a world class videographer.

So you rate stretched the video in your project....usually this doesn't present a problem...not near as much as shrinking the rate...this is usually where you end up with a fast motion blur problem with fast action footage, when you try to speed this up(compress the rate-example to fit it to music tempo).

Or it could simply be a problem during Encoding from DV/AVI to MPEG.

The problem seems to be you're trying to double the framerate..if the ghost trails are also in the AVI before encoding to mpeg...you're probably out of luck.(I'm still scratching my head on the 15fps video...this is one reason action movie making usually they speed up the camera.(always better to have more frames than not enough)

7. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Ok, i was curious about the 15fps thing, so I went looking.

Is this Mpeg-4? Quicktime Video, reelvideo? or something captured from a
    camera phone?

8. rpersad

rpersad Member

I used my digital camera. It uses quicktime format. In premiere it shows as being 15fps...

I've put the video up online here ---> http://www.archive.org/details/Movement2

The best quality version can be accesed via a link on the left bar of the page.

I just dont get it. It plays fine in premiere, but when I export it- even to a raw avi file- it has those trails...

9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

You mean you didn't it to "look" like that..fast motion(time lapse) effect? The good news is it's all consistant! It looks like a planned
    effect: LOL : When you first posted this...I figured you just had a couple bad frames where there were some motion blur....but this is beyond. Premiere Pro is designed for broadcast production hence the NTSC and PAL framerates, you're best bet if planning on only playing this on a computer is to set it to 24fps DV. You could start the project all over from scratch...New Project->custom settings->under General choose Desktop Editing, under Video Rendering try MPEG-4 Fast Motion. You would also want 1:1 square pixels.

Else if, you want something you can put on DVD or play on TV(US-NTSC) you could go with 23.976 fps( with pulldown )..now if you really have to have all those motion trails gone...you're going to have to match the time base between the raw footage and the finished video. With 0 time stretching/compression. This is going to make your overall Video
    very...very...long. Each piece of stock footage from where you want it cut in will have to match the same time duration from beginning to end..and you'll need to adjust your sequence to match the run-time of each piece of raw footage. I'm the worst at explaining things with text. EX- if you watch a certain clip at 15fps and from the point you want to cut into it - out...if it runs 4 minutes long, you'll need to adjust the duration of that clip in your sequence to run 4 minutes at 23.976fps.

10. rpersad

rpersad Member

Hello,

You mentioned trying the "Mpeg 4 fast motion" under video rendering- however, I can't seem to access this option as the drop downs are greyed out...

I believe I get the kist of what you are saying about chaning the timing of the 15fps vodeo for the 23fps- but it seems a bit complex and tedious...

Thanks for all your help anyways- regardless of whether or not I can solve this problem...

11. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

well I'm far from being an expert..but i believe the reason those options are grayed out is because those are settings that can only be set prior to starting a project.