1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pretty simple HD TV question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sans, Aug 5, 2006.

1. sans

sans Regular member

think I know which hdtv im getting finally - it's a 50" zenith plasma. model #Z50PX2D

Ok, since hdtvs are made in 16:9, can you view a dvd without the black bars - in other words, to fill the whole screen, without missing any of the camera shots?
    do the tvs have an option to crop or something?
    thanks

2. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

The TV will have it's own function to change the aspect ratio to zoom, 16:9, 4:3 etc. DVDs that have a 16:9 ratio will not have the black bars on the movies (as long as your TV supports 16:9). Some new DVDs these days have an even narrower ratio 221:100.

3. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

[bold]sans[/bold]

Do you know that if you watch fullscreen that you miss some of the picture? I hated widescreen with a passion a few year ago but now i love it to death if the movie not in widescreen i dont watch it.This is how you adjust your eyes to watch widescreen.Only watch widescreen only at nite but make sure you home is pitch black with no lite over time you eyes will adjust and you will start to like it.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  5. sans

sans Regular member

alright on another topic-

Zenith Z50PX2D Plasma HDTV - heard anything about it?

The contrast ratio is 8000:1, instead of 10000:1, which I assume is best? Is there a big difference?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It depends because color accuracy depends on more than just contrast ratio.

Ced

7. sans

sans Regular member

ok, well there seem to be a lot of good reviews for the tv on circuit city, many pages of them, and these people paid 3k and up in some cases!

anyway I think I'll end up going with this one, now to pick a surround sound system ;)