1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printable dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by britbird, Mar 27, 2007.

1. britbird

britbird Member

Hi,

I recently bought some printable dvd-r's and out of 10 back-up dvd's i've made 2 of them wont play in dvd player but they play fine on a portable dvd player and in laptop, was just wondering whether it has anything to do with printing the dvd after the burning? as on all the others I printed the dvd first using inkjet printer and they play fine?

2. cujo007

cujo007 Member

Printing onto an Ink Jet Printable dvd should have nothing to with playback, that's what they are designed for. Cheap media is usually the problem, what brand did you purchase?

3. britbird

britbird Member

they are titanium full face printable dvd-r, chose this brand as my ex-partner used these for his business and never had any probs with them.
    didnt think that it should affect the burning but just seems coincidental that the 2 discs that were printed after burning dont play in dvd player yet do in the portable and laptop dvd player.

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. cujo007

cujo007 Member

I myself, have never heard of that brand, again quality media makes every difference in the world. I've printed on hundreds of White Full Faced Ink Jet discs without a problem. I would suggest using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media.

6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

britbird,

The evidence points to the single DVD player rather than to the discs. The printable surface should make no difference unless it has an ink that contracts after curing and warps the disc. In that case, few drives would play the disc. Since only one DVD player is having problems, that suggests that the player may be finicky about playing the discs. That often happens, especially with older DVD players. (It is more common with DVD+R discs than with the DVD-R discs you used.)

It is perfectly possible that the discs are good quality but that the DVD player is having problems reading the data because of differences in tolerances. Members of this forum are too quick to blame any discs but the two they favor, but switching to another brand may help--or it may even produce worse results. Printing on an ink-jet disc before or after recording should make no difference as long as the disc is not scratched during handling.

7. britbird

britbird Member

thanks for all your help, I always burn at 2x, think it is the dvd player as everything else plays the dvd's fine.
    Thanks