1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printable dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by paul5619, Nov 8, 2004.

1. paul5619

paul5619 Member

can anyone answer this?
    when i make a copy dvd on a un-printed printable dvd it doesnt work on my player.
    if i use a printed copy of the same disc it works...

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi paul5619, welcome to aD,

It's called a coincidence.

Whether something is printed on the disc or not has no bearing on it's being playable.

What is probably more important is, what brand of media are you using ?

Poor quality media isn't consistent is it's quality, some plays and some doesn't.

Cheers,

Pete

3. paul5619

paul5619 Member

the thing that throws me is even when i use all the same media it never works when its not printed but always seems to work when its printed.
    can you advise any media thats always consistant?
    we use three diferent stand alone dvd players and havent found any discs that will play on all three but different makes of media work on different players so i end up making three seperate copies for each player.
    could do with one disc which will work on all three but havent really tried many makes.....
    thanx for your help

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Paul,

I'm thinking that your players are messing you up. A commercial DVD plays in all players because the movie is pressed on not burned on. Burning isn't quite as easy to read. If you have older players they most likely want -R media not +R. Other players hate "cheap discs" so won't play many backups. The new toss-away $39.00 Cyber-Home players will play anything. You might want to replace your older, temperamental players with a cheap new one and you also might wish to upgrade your media to a better quality. Some of the discs we recommend are now on sale for $.36ea so quality isn't very expensive.

Cheers,

Pete

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi paul5619, I have trouble on some dvd players with the copies i burn. I have a sony dvp-ns325 stand alone player. It will play everything i burn where cheaper players won't. It plays +r/+rw -r/-rw. I can only burn the + formats. The cheaper dvd players may not play all formats. I learned this the hard way on my first home dvd burner. Good Luck and have a nice day.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there saugmon, welcome to aD,

Thanks, I should have qualified my post, upon a re-read I'll have to do so next time.

Probably 95% of the DVD players made within the last 1 1/2 years will play almost every format out there. Prior to that there were HUGE gaps in what could be and couldn't be played :(
    I named the Cyber-Home because it is available in the USA, UK and in many parts of Europe. I purchased one last year at a pre- Christmas sale for $34.99 with a $10.00 mail-in coupon making it $24.99 (USD) and it will play a small pancake with syrup (butter messes up the laser lens, Lol). Friends of mine purchased a Sony DVD player/ Recorder with a 5 disc (maybe 6?) changer for, in the neighborhood of, $400.00 (USD) about 6 or 8 months prior and that bear would play a disc only if it came with pedigree papers - Go figure.

Cheers,

Pete

7. paul5619

paul5619 Member

thanx to you both for the advise.....