1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printers list

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Oct 12, 2015.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have two BROTHER lasers, one a printer, one an all in one. Neither model is on the XP printers list in the ADD PRINTERS dialog. Windows update does NOT work, error. How do I ADD these or any printer to the list? Or in the alternative a list of BROTHER printers with their associated DRIVER FILE NAME in a .exe format so I can download the file directly. The CDs do not read, nor does the makers site work. SOLUTIONS please.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the model numbers of the brother lasers?

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

The BROTHER HL1440 and MFC8500. Neither will install using any of the common methods. If I had the driver file names in an .exe format, I could download them directly. I suspect the 1440 is toast. I just lost an HP T series inkjet.

4. ddp

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thank DDP. I used the website process several times with failure. What the site did not mention was that I needed to create a temp folder in the ZIP box AND then enter the same folder in the RUN box in order to get to the INSTALL wizard. The process has changed a lot. The 8500 wen in easily. The 1440 did NOT show up in the short list. The 1650, which shares the same driver, did. Installing the 1650 should have worked but it is not detected because I think the printer is faulty. I am looking for another 1240 or 1440 and an inkjet, preferably an HP OFFICEJET like the K series, or V series for low $s. Thanks for the help. Would this process be similar for any printer regardless of make/model?

6. ddp

what cable are you using to connect the hl1440 to the pc, parallel or usb? might need to restart the pc to detect the hl1440 printer. this install process not always the same as some will startup the install process after the unzip is done & printer is not to be connected til the software tells you to connect or turn on the printer.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

USB. I tried all 6 ports, changed cables, restarted several times and more. I cannot get the printer to be detected. I can print a test page so the printer functions but does not communicate.

8. ddp

test page from the computer or from the printer itself? try using a parallel port cable as long as that port is on the computer & enabled.