1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing DVD Case inserts

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by byron02, Apr 12, 2006.

1. byron02

byron02 Regular member

I went back and forth on this one, and I couldn't decide if this should be here, or in other PC hardware. But here it goes.

I print alot of case inserts(full color, a4 size), alot being 10-12/week. It's not a business or anything. I used to have a lexmarkZ515 inkjet printer. It was cheap. I recently bought a HP PSC 1410v. Well, I like the way it prints better than my lexmark, and the ink is alot cheaper.
    The problem(s) are:
    1. Scanner on PSC is CRAP. I ended up sticking with my 8 year old visioneer.
    2. Ink is cheaper, but doesn't seem to last as long.
    3. Could use a little better quality printing, better life with ink.

Fast printing isn't a neccessity as I lightscribe discs at the same time, and one disc takes 30 mins, so if it took 30 mins to print one insert I wouldn't care as long as it looked nice, didn't KILL me with ink/prices.
    What printer(s) would you recommend??
    I would like a Printer Scanner combo to save me some room, but I won't sacrifice room for quality scans.
    Budget is negotiable, but limitable($200USD). If for $20 more I could get ALOT better... I'd consider.

2. monteca

monteca Regular member

i use an epson r320.....individual tanks for cartridges and it prints inkjet dvds

never let me down

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I also use an Epson "R" series printer. It does an awesome job! It doesn't have a scanner though. I think Epson makes an all-in-one unit too. My Epson uses six cartridges, because it's a photo printer. I can get all six cartridges, for less than $22, from here:
    http://private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx?

These are generic cartridges, but look as good, and last as long as the Epson cartridges. You can get the Epson R220, for less than $100, at most places. I know Sam's Club has them for $70-$80. The main reason I bought mine is because it prints directly on printable cds and dvds too.
    It does an [bold]outstanding[/bold] job!

I also print my inserts on glossy photo paper. It makes them look like the originals. I buy cheap photo paper from Big Lots.

I have an HP all-in-one (printer, scanner, copier) also, but hate the way it prints, and the ink costs way too much! When I try to print a dvd cover insert on it, it cuts off about 1/4". [bold]I hate that![/bold] My Epson prints the whole cover.

So, if I were you, I'd buy the Epson R220 or R320 to print with, and keep using the Visioneer to scan with.
    Good luck! Keep us posted please? :eek:)

4. byron02

byron02 Regular member

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I, personally, don't care for Canons. But if you like them, go for it. I've seen where quite a few on these forums have them. I think I've seen where more have the "R" series Epsons though.

I do know that I'll never own another HP! Don't want a Lexmark either. All I will buy from now on, is Epson.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on!

6. byron02

byron02 Regular member

I've never used a cannon, I've only printed with lexmark and HP, and either cannon or epson is prob going to win my money his round... I've heard good things about the cannon, but I've heard good things about the r220, but I've heard even better things about the r340... but it's 158.99 at newegg, and it's over my price range. If I was going to be making money off these prints, then maybe I'd spend that little extra. And I didn't find the R320.. I'll keep looking, if it's under $100 I might go with that one. Once again, I'm not worried about speed, just clarity. Photo Scan to Print - Would like them to look CLOSE.. I'm fixing to be printing on A4 photo paper so that will give me a little more shine, but I did decide to just stick with my visioneer 8100. I still can't believe that an 8 yr old scanner DESTROYS my new one. Same dpi, (300, or 600). It's funny, because my Visioneer scans a clearer image at 200dpi (750KBs,) then my HP does at 600dpi (22.MBs). I laugh at HP's scanning technology.

7. monteca

monteca Regular member

go to www.epson.com and go to the refurb part and the r320 is $99 free shipping...it comes with all accessories and full oem cartridges.....ive used many refurbished epsons and they have all been great....they have a i year warranty just like retail if i remeber correctly

hope that helps

8. byron02

byron02 Regular member

I want to, but just the word refurbished makes me shudder. At least it went back to epson to get fixed... but still. It WAS broken. I'll look into the refurb's from epson, I just finished shopping ebay, and damn that place has become horrible... everyone's trying to make all their money off shipping and hope people don't see it. Shipping AVERAGES 25-30 bucks. I guess it's that "handling" that gets um... Stupid ebay.

9. JVC

JVC Active member

Refurbed [bold]can[/bold] be better than new, in some cases.
    Refurbed means the bugs have been fixed, or has been repaired, to a new unit's specs. Who better to repair, than the factory?

I've heard some people say they won't buy refurbed, but go to Best Buy or Circuit City, and buy an open box item. Some open box items are probably new, but some are not. You don't know what you're getting. Some friends took back a Zenith 50" HDTV, because the component 1 input had gone bad, within two weeks. Best Buy gave them another tv, but I'd bet they put it back out for sale, as an open box item. Someone will probably buy it, and use the dvi input, and won't find out the component input is bad, until the warranty is out. At least with refurbed, you know it's fixed back to new condition. And if they give the full warranty, it's a deal................
    Good luck!

10. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

go to www.epson.com and go to the refurb part and the r320 is $99 free shipping...it comes with all accessories and full oem cartridges.....ive used many refurbished epsons and they have all been great....they have a i year warranty just like retail if i remeber correctly

Yeah go to Epson.com

I saw that they had the R300(refurbed for around only $60.00)
    w/ FREE shipping.

I got lucky & got mine from someone on craigslist, for same price.

Then just ordered my ink from abacusink.com.

Excellent results so far. Works great.
    I've never ever had a problem w/ anything I've bought refurbished before.

11. byron02

byron02 Regular member

The only difference I've seen between the R2 series and the r3 series, is the 3 series seems to have the "no computer" interface where you can just print straight from a card/camera... That is a feature I will never need or use. So am I better off sticking with the r2 series printers??? Or do the r3 series actually print better??

12. monteca

monteca Regular member

they print the same...i actually have been waiting for the refurb r200 to come back in stock for a little over a week. it did today so i bought a few.....the ink would cost you more if you bought it in the store...and checking today it seems the r320 is not in stock now anyways....hurry and get an r200 before they are gone!!!!

13. byron02

byron02 Regular member

They are already gone. I went and it said in stock, but when I clicked add to cart it said they only have 0 available. :(
    What's the difference between the 200 and the 220??

14. byron02

byron02 Regular member

Just bought the epson r220 off ebay. NIB, with ink, never opened so I can just hope... I hate buying off ebay, but I got it for about 65 with shipping, so we'll see. Thanks everyone for the inputs.

15. JVC

JVC Active member

I haven't used an R220, but it's the new version of the R200. I read the difference was:
    1 - The disc tray's leading edge is different
    2 - The disc printing software allows the center hole size to go down to 18mm. The R200's only goes down to 20mm.

I [bold]think[/bold] that was for the R220, but can't swear to it. It could have been for the R320.........

16. Dogman5

Dogman5 Regular member

I use a canon and have used canon printers for some time and have always had great printing out of them. I also use Lazormonks.com for buying my refurb cartridges as they are alot cheaper then buying the new ones even at wally world. there is 2 places that I use and they are both very good and fast about getting your order to you.

http://www.lazormonks.com/

http://www.inkforever.com/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Several years ago I only used Canon Printers. After about a year they all seemed to need new print heads, My last 2 printers have been Epsons. Both excellent print quality and with the ink tank for each color you only replace what you need. Two weeks ago I purchased the Epson R320 refurbished unit from the Epson site. It is an excellent unit that prints the CD/dvd's just as good as on paper. I gave my 2 year old Epson C80 to my son-in-law and he says its one of the best printers he has used. I thought the R320 had a problem printing the dvd's but it turned out that the printer has to be at least 4 inches away from the back wall to work properly. The dvd tray goes all the way out the back when its printing. Once I found that out it prints great. This printer at $99. with the free shipping was worth every cent. I also agree that the refurbs are checked better than some new units.

Jerry

18. byron02

byron02 Regular member

My epson r220 will be here friday, via DHL, so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
    You know how hard it is to find A4 size photo paper?? I found some on the web, but not very many, mostly in the UK. No stores around here carry it either.
    Did someone say they can actually print the full dvd case insert on a standard letter size?? If that is possible with this epson, then the cd/dvd printing and letter size case inserts will be worth the $.
    And I will definately be ordering my ink from abacus. the 5 pack color cartridges at walmart is $60... I can get all 6 from abacus for $17.

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

20. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

How well do "Compatible" Ink Cartridges work for epsons? I have an Epson R300 and I love the printer, but have been hesitant to buy non-epson brand ink bcause I have always been fearful of causing damage to the printer or the printouts not looking as good.

I see that I can get a complete set of cartridges for $16.95 + $4.95 s&h which is an awesome price.

I have always been told by the manufacturers and printer repair techs that the generic Inks could cause damage to the print head or printer itself.