1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Surfaces?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by larrymcg, Aug 14, 2006.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

I've been checking out taiyo yuden CD-Rs and see that they come with several different surfaces. I don't use a printer to print on mine -- just a soft marking pen.

What are these various surfaces for?

Silver Thermal Lacquer
    Silver Thermal Hub Printable
    White Thermal Hub Printable
    Silver Inkjet Printable
    White Inkjet Printable
    White Inkjet Hub Printable

What's Hub Printable?
    Which ones allow writing on the label with a soft marker?

Thanks,
    Larry

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

You can write on any of them.

Thermal printables require a thermal printer, or more accurately, labeler (CW-50 and CW-75 for text, basically) such as the Casio consumer model. Unless you have thousands of dollars to buy a REAL thermal printer.

Inkjet printables can be printed on with affordable (sometimes lower than $100) consumer model inkjet printers by Casio (Pixma 3000 and 4000 series in the UK) and Epson (R200 and R300 series in US). The finished product looks very close to commercial quality if you use hi res images.

Hub printables allow you to print within 21mm of the center (very close to covering entire disc). Non-hub printables restrict you to within 45mm or so of center (a huge hole in my opinion). To date, I have only seen hub printables in the white inkjet printable variety and non-hub in the silver inkjet variety.

EDIT: added printer model numbers

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  3. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006