1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prob Re-Installing Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ZeAlpaca, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ZeAlpaca

ZeAlpaca Member

When i try to install it it says there are temporary files needed to complete the installation on this drive when i try to delete it. Please help me I need to reinstall it because my comp is messed up.

2. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Try completely reformatting your drive. It'll delete absolutely EVERYTHING so make you've backed up anything you want to keep, but it's handy if your having issues with your computer and you want a clean, fresh start.

Open up My Computer, right click on the Hard Drive you want to reformat and select "Format".
    Set the format to NTFS and the Allocation Size to default; don't bother changing the name, you should keep the name the same in most circumstances.

Leave everything else as it is and hit Format.
    It will take a while, be patient, after you restart you Computer, insert your Windows XP disc and install it.

3. ZeAlpaca

ZeAlpaca Member

I tried that it said that the formatting could not be completed.

4. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

You wont be able to format Windows XP's system drive from within Windows XP!

ZeAlpaca,
    You'll need to boot from your Windows XP Disc and choose to format the drive from there. Unless you have more than one operating system installed, there's no other way to do this. Post here if you need any info on how to do this.

5. ZeAlpaca

ZeAlpaca Member

If you mean going into the setup and deleteing the partition I've tried that if not then tell me what to do.

6. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

That's what I meant. Are you saying that it doesn't work? Did you actually boot from the CD to enter the setup, or started the setup from within Windows XP itself? Either way, why doesn't it work (i.e. what does it say?)

It doesn't hurt to be more specific :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  7. ZeAlpaca

ZeAlpaca Member

I figured it out I was starting it from windows and it was saving setup files too early so I booted from the CD and it worked fine. Thanks for the help anyways.