1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem adding Mpeg files to 'TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6'

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by arnies, Oct 12, 2004.

1. arnies

arnies Guest

am quite a n00b at the DVD authoring scene and have been using Nero Vision Express to convert MPEG files (ripped from SVCD with ISO buster) that i have got to convert into FULL DVD movies which is GREAT as its a simple 'point and click' piece of software' , however it lacks some features that i would like to add such as animated scene menus like a moving preview of the film or the finese a more advanced programs

So - I have tried 'TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6' but when i try to add say MPEGs ripped from an SVCD i get an error message saying 'the video resolution of 480X480 cannot be used as a standard DVD' AND '*The video GOP is too long.'

Is there any way around these error messages as i would love to use this package to Convert my MPEGs to DVD's as this package looks a bit more professional than Nero Vision Express :bow:

Any guidance in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. nist

nist Member

Try to reencode the svcd with tmpenc xpress to standard svcd/vcd/dvd format and then use that as input file in tmpenc dvd author. Should work.
    The Video GOP problem is usually not a problem and can be override. Just continue the operation to the next step. Should play fine anyway (at least for me on my standalone dvd player).

3. arnies

arnies Guest

CHeers 4 the speedy reply! :)

So what format do i need to rencode the file into once i have got tmpenc xpress as the files are MPEG 1's as far as i know which were ripped directly from SVCD! :)

4. nist

nist Member

If the files are SVCD then they should be mpeg-2 files, not mpeg-1. VCD files are mpeg-1. However, convert it to standard dvd PAL or NTSC or Video CD PAL or NTSC. PAL is used in Europe and NTSC in USA.

Recommend to use the built in standard templates in tmpenc to convert. You could also try out the xdvd format.

Do you use PAL or NTSC?
    Depending on system you need to make sure the converted files follows one of the following:
    352x240 352x480 704x480 720x480 pixels (NTSC format only)
    352x288 352x576 704x576 720x576 pixels (PAL format only)
    29.97 fps (NTSC format only)
    25 fps (PAL format only)

The problem is that the 480x480 resolution isn't dvd standard size and you need to change the resolution.
    Hope it helps...

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

More than the excellent suggestion by nist, read the '100% working method ro make a VCD' 'sticky' thread. You'll have to learn VCDGear which is freeware instead VCDEasy. Sorry I never used it.
    More: sorry, nist, but 480x480 is THE standard resolution for a MPEG-2 for a SVCD. But you'll need the M2V plugin to enable TMPGenc to load MPEG-2 files (reed afterdawn's 'guides and articles' section).
    and... never use Nero!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  6. nist

nist Member

Thanks Aldaco12. Didn't know that. Always good to learn new stuff! I new that 480x480 is standard resolution for a svcd, but not that tmpenc dvd author requires a m2v plugin to read mpeg-2 files.
    Question then, why can it read other mpeg-2 encoded files (not in 480x480 resolution) without the m2v plugin? I usually encode to xdvd format (mpeg-2 in 352x288 or 720x576) and it works great.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you encode using the Xvid codec then you create an AVI, not a MPG (MPEG-1 or MPEG-2). MPEGs are more standard than AVI. Everyone can see a MPG. They almost lose no video quality but the movie resolution are fixed. AVI is the opposite. You need its codec to DECode it (and therefore to be able to see it). You can compress lousy or excellent AVI but there's no limit on the movie resolution (and the movie quality depends on the codec tou use and on its bitrate). E.g. DivX Multipass 600 kbps is an excellent AVI compression. Similar for Xvid but I've no info on the best bitrate.

8. nist

nist Member

Sorry, must be a confusion. XDVD is not XviD. xdvd is a special mpeg-2 format which tmpenc xpress can encode to. XDVDs exceed the GOP limit of the DVD standard and is capable of storing more than 60 frames in 1 GOP without ruining the clip. This format allows long play and high quality image DVD-Video compliant MPEG-2 file creation. XDVD stands for "extended dvd".
    Nevertheless your absolutely right about XviD compression and to create a dvd you need mpeg compliant files.

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, the error is mine. But probably XDVD has only the enCOding part of the COdec, it hasn't the DECoding part. Therefore you can encode a movie as a MPEG-2 file, but cannot load a MPEG-2 movie. TMPGenc is the same: it can create SVCD's MPEG-2 files, but without the M2V plugin it can load only MPEG-1 files as input movies.

10. nist

nist Member

Think your right. Thanks for the clarification!