1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Backing Up Long Movies?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Feb 27, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I tried backing up a copy of 'Patton'(171 mins.) using DVD Shrink to rip and DVD Decoder to burn. I have been using Scuba Pete's instructions and have had perfect results up until now, but with shorter movies.
    I set the Shrink for 'Custom' and typed in 4350 in the box as I've done for all the other movies.
    I only wanted the main movie on the disc and selected that and started the application. It burned the movie successfully, but the movie stopped before it was complete when I tried to play it back on the player. According to the timekeeper on my player it had a running time of 2'52, and usually the credits start to roll a couple of minutes before the end time indicated arrives.
    It got to 2'52 and continued playing for about another 30 seconds and froze with the movie still unfinished. The box it comes in says the running time is 171 mins. or 2'51.
    Can someone tell me what I might have done wrong or not done to cause this to happen?
    Would it be better to set at, say 4320 or even smaller to alleviate the chance of getting too close to the edge of the disc? Or is there some other option for longer movies that I'm unaware of?
    I use Fuji Film blanks and they burn and play well in my player.

Len

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Some members suggest setting Shrink at 4300 mb if using media that is questionable as to quality. This is for the exact reason you stated to keep from burning all the way to the edge. You may want to try the burn on a RW disc first time to see how the compression affects the playback. If it plays good then just recopy the RW to a Blank R disc with any disc copy program so you don't have to decrypt it again.

Jerry

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dvdshrink.info/re-author.php

A good pictorial movie-only DVD Shrink guide.

I would highly suggest using better media btw , say maybe Ritek G05 or Taiyo Yuden DVDRs (Fuji aren't that well rated)

4. djlen

djlen Regular member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I guess from your responses that I pretty much identified the problem. On longer movies I'll just use a lower compression number and hopefully this will
    keep the material farther from the edge of the disc.

Len

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If you buy the fuji's that are made in Japan,there media code is taiyo yuden.

[​IMG]

These are Fuji's -r 8x marked made in Japan

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

When the movie is a large one I would reccomend putting the movie on 2 disk's so you can keep a very good quality backup it's only an extra .30c or so, and in the end you end up with a much cleaner copy. The is a guide at my website (link in my signature) showing you how to make a long movie into 2 disk's using Shrink. Give it a try and you will see that those large movies come out much nicer this way. Some people don't like to change to a second disk while watching there movie, but hey thats why we have kids :)

7. djlen

djlen Regular member

bb - I wondered whether that would be the way to go and still save a nice copy. I will give the 1:1 app. a shot. I'm getting more and more familiar with both Decrypter and Shrink.....scary isn't it!!??!!
    BTW, my kids are grown, but maybe the dogs will switch discs for me......nah, they'll slobber them up even worse than the kids used to.

Jim Dandy - I have no idea if my Fuji's were made in Japan and have no idea how to read the demo you posted. Can't I just look somewhere on the disc or the spindle?

Len

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

9. herbsman

@ Jim

Where does it state in DVD Identifier that you've got a Fuji disc on analysis ? (not that I don't believe you of course)
    Only Fuji DVD-Rs on sale in the U.K are normally coded as Fujifilm03 or similar.

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well they are branded fuji I was just showing you guys what the japanese fuji's I.D as.
    I wouldnt lie about it,what would I have to gain by lying?It doesnt matter to me, if you believe me or not.

11. herbsman

Yeah , like I say I totally believe you mate , it's just that we tend to get a lot of different types of media on sale here (UK) but never in all my days sdeen Fuji coded up as Taiyo Yudens.

I use Verbatim DataLife Plus x8 DVD-Rs at the moment that are TYG02 coded aswell , there are magnificent discs.
    The branded Taiyo Yudens on sale [the only two trusted TYs I'd buy , as you know there are some fake ID TYs about ... yeah?] are so expensive I haven't bought any to date.

Expensive being 100 spindle for £50 :-(

/me does love Taiyo Yuden disc tho

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well the fuji's made in Japan here in the states I.D. at taiyo yuden and the fuji's made in Taiwan,I.D. as ricoh...I havent bought any taiwan made fuji's, but I read that on another forum, from Brobear.Ricoh is what some riteks I.D. as if im not mistaken.
    I didnt believe at first either till I went to bestbuy and bought a cake of 50 of them.I got my fuji's for 40 cents a pc

13. djlen

djlen Regular member

That's what they're selling for now at Best Buy.
    I bought a 100pc. spindle for $39.95 yesterday.
    I'll try the Identifier and see if I can figure out what I got.

I just used bb's 1:1 method and they came out beautiful!!! He's the man!!!:)

Len

14. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Just put the disc in and click identify.

15. herbsman

If you open DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode (no need to burn anything) , on the right it'll show you disc code etc :)

16. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You dont have to burn anything with dvd identifier either.

17. djlen

djlen Regular member

I just did and it says: Prodisc Technology Inc.
    Manufacturer ID.: ProdiscFO1

OK, what in the world does that tell you?

Len

18. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

It tells me that they are not the ones made in Japan.Prodisc is so, so, media not as bad as memorex, but not as good as taiyo yuden, or verbatim.Ive got some fuji's, I bought several months ago, that are prodisc,but lately theyve been taiyo yudens.

19. djlen

djlen Regular member

Is there an on line list of the best discs down to the worst anywhere, or is that a fluid thing that can change from time to time?
    And what makes these taiyo yuden discs so great? Not being a smart ass....just would really like to know.
    I'm actually very happy with the Fuji's. I guess I just don't know any better.

Len

20. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

in my opinion the best way to backup long movies is to use CCE Basic/Rebuilder. its unbelievable what this app can do.... i am backing up 3 hour movies onto a dvd5 that are completely undistinguishable from the original. its going to run you about $58 for CCE Basic, but it is oh so worth every penny. takes time to do it, but the end product is worth the tradeoff for me.

see the guide for Rebuilder - very easy to setup and use.