1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem burning avi to dvd using nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nikki_252, Mar 27, 2005.

1. nikki_252

nikki_252 Member

I hope this is in the right place but my problem is as follows...

I have a movie in .avi format which I want to burn to DVD. I used NeroVision Express and just opened the avi file and tried to get it to burn, after about an hour and a half, the cd ejected and I got an error message.

I will paste the error log below if that is any help.
    Can anyone tell me if I am going about this all wrong, or if I should be using an alternative method which may be more efficent.

[log removed due to excessive text]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you had downloaded the avi, it might have been corrupted at places during the data transfer. For that, you might need to use an editing program to cut away the corrupted parts before burning.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

just curious what did you use to convert it to mpeg2 format before you attempted to burn it

4. nikki_252

nikki_252 Member

Hi and thanks for the replies...I am pretty confused at this point. I thought that nero vision express would deal with the avi file and convert it for me?

Since I posted I have been using Divx to DVD converter to convert the files, and then I am opening in NERO BURNING ROM. The only problem with this is that I don't get a menu. So i tried opeing the dvd file in NVE, (to add the menu/chapters etc) but it seems to take a LONG time transcoding .

Any more insight for me? Any other program I should be trying??
    TIA!

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You dont need to have a menu , but if you still feel so compelled to do so ... then download free for 30days [bold]TMPGEnc DVD Author[/bold] (link to home page to be found in aD software section).

If you want to create more elaborate menus .. you'll have to get hold of something like DVD-Lab Pro [costs a fair bit more tho]

P.S. NeroVision Express has always been a crappy encoder - lol

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you really want a menu and if you must use Nero to create it, then maybe you should change the codec of the avis to something that Nero can easily read (e.g. XviD, mpeg). Herbsman is right about Nero. Often when it says error, I can still use DVDSanta to encode all the way.
    Good luck!

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Hi nikki_252,

all files need to be converted to an mpeg2 format which is the dvd format before you burn them to disc.Tmpgenc dvd author as suggested by herbsman will probably be the easiest of them all for you to either add the menus if that is what you want

software description:

TMPGEnc DVD Author is software that can change (author) your MPEG-1/2 files to DVD-Video format. You can author MPEG-1/2 files based on the DVD standard, from either DVD-Video made by a DVD recorder, or video captured on a PC.
    In just a few easy steps, TMPGEnc DVD Author enables you to change the files you want to put on your DVD.

Moreover, setup of a multitrack DVD, create a DVD menu, switch between main audio and sub audio mode etc. can also be performed easily.

The DVD-Video files outputted by TMPGEnc DVD Author can be burned to a DVD±R, ±RW using the DVD Writing Tool. Users who have a writable DVD drive can thus create their own DVD-Video to be played on their DVD player.*

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  8. rasp50

rasp50 Member

The best encoder around is windvd creator2 it can create a dvd from a single avi file or multiple small files.I have tried them all but this is the best by far.It does everything for you even burn to dvd

RASP50

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  9. nikki_252

nikki_252 Member

thanks a million for all the help, I am in the process of trying some of your suggestions, its probably a matter of finding what works best with the file in question and my system.

I really appreciate not being immediately thrown in the direction of yet another guide ('cos YES I have spent days reading up on all this)

Anyway, no doubt I will be back with more questions, but thanks a lot for the help thus far guys!! :)

10. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

There's plenty of encoders about & I'd disagree with above statement that WinDVD Creator2 is the best around...

The best by far is CCE SP !! [but it costs a fair bit]

Reverse end of the scale is freebie VSO DivXtoDVD [again to be found in aD software section].

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

nikki_252 theres one other program that i would suggest for you if you are downloading avi's.This ONES CALLED AVICODEC.Its a free download off the net, just follow the link.

http://avicodec.duby.info/

software description:

AVIcodec v1.2 - Free multimeda files analyser :
    Gives detailled information, especially the codecs needed to play the file, and where to download those codecs if they are missing on your system.

Recognized formats :
    Natively : AVI, ASF & WMV, Real (.rm, .rmvb), Ogg (.ogg, .ogm), Mpeg-(S)VCD-DVD (.mpg, .vob)
    Others : all those handled by DirectShow (.mp3, ...).
    Features : install program, tooltips, drag & drop support, accessible from contextual menu in Explorer, export of all the information, recusive directory analysis, ...
    Langages : Chinese, Deutsch, English, Español, Francais, Hungarian, Italiano, Nederlands, polski, Portugûes, Romanian, Russian.
    If your language is not there, please help me to add a translation in your language.
    Code : Borland C++ Builder 6. Source code available on demand.
    New : Next release (1.2) will use MediaInfo DLL to grab file information. MediaInfo adds Mastroska support and others interesting things !

have fun

andmerr

12. nikki_252

nikki_252 Member

^^ cheers sounds great. I will go and check that out. thanks for the help!