1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem: Burning DivX file from hard drive?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by TheMiest, Jun 9, 2007.

1. TheMiest

TheMiest Guest

Hi i have a question for anyone who can answer it. I recently downloaded the movie 300 from the client utorrent. The file is in Divx codec and i have tried multiple times burning the files to DVD using different programs and nothing seems to play back on a dvd player or even the pc. I have used dvd santa, Nero StartSmart, Alcohol 120%, ConvertXtoDVD, Xilisoft DivX to DVD converter, Avi2DVD, Super DVD creator, and many more programs and none of them were successful. I have read articles on the internet and gone through probably 20 dvd+r's. Can someone please tell me an affective way to burn a movie file like divX to a DVD to play in any dvd player and pc? I keep getting errors of unreadable disks. Also what type of files need to be put onto a DVD to work in DVD players? I heard it was MPEG-2? Is that correct. If someone could please help me out step by step i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Mike

p.s. is it because im using a dvd+r that it doesnt work?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Assuming the avi file plays ok on the pc then the likes of ConvertX should be creating a folder containing the files in the correct format (you will have ensured that you are converting to PAL or NTSC depending on where you live) for burning to DVD.

To verify that you have a compliant folder, download DVD Shrink.
    DVD Shrink
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/
    Download, install and run.
    'Open Files' choose the folder with the DVD files.

If Shrink can open the folder and you can play back the dvd movie, then it should burn without problems.

Burn dvd with 'ImgBurn'
    http://www.imgburn.com/

Run ImgBurn
    Mode > 'Build'
    Output > 'Device'
    File > 'Browse for Folder', highlight on the 'VIDEO_TS' folder, > 'OK'
    Click the green write button.

Ensure that IMGBurn is set to write at 4x maximum on media that says 'Made in Japan' or 'Verbatim'

3. TheMiest

TheMiest Guest

I'll try it out, and get back to you. Thanks for the info!!

4. attar

attar Senior member

BTW any type of burned DVD + - R RW should play in a PC.

DVD players are different.
    The DVD player manual spells out that which can and cannot be used.
    There is a technique for DVD+R (bitsetting) which allegedly makes that type of disk look like the pressed, commercial movie disk - thus all standalone DVD players should accept it.
    The DVD burner has to be able to support this procedure.

5. TheMiest

TheMiest Guest

I have another question. I burned successfully the movie Hostel, but when i want to open the movie 300 in dvd shrink it doesn't open a file because i need to create a video_ts file. How do you create a video_ts folder? Also, can i use nero to burn a dvd, because i want to create my own menu, with backgrounds and chapters. What are some options? Thanks

6. attar

attar Senior member

If you converted '300' from an avi to DVD format, the converting program placed the files in a folder.
    These files (.IFO, .BUO, .VOB) should be in a folder named 'VIDEO_TS', did this not happen?

7. Irish13

Irish13 Guest

If your still in avi format and you sound like you have Nero then try nerovision which will let you create a menu, chapters, etc... and convert your avi's as well.