1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Burning VCD with Nero

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by joking, Oct 22, 2002.

1. joking

joking Guest

I have attempted to burn a VCD with Nero 5.5 several times. I have followed the instructions and Nero performs as though it is burning the entire MPEG file (which is about 650mb) and even shows that it burning the appropriate amount of data. But, after completing the writing process, there is only about 1-2 mb of data on the disc. None of this data will show up as a playable movie file. The mpeg plays the movie file perfectly from the hard drive but dosen't seem to record. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.
    I also tried to play the movie file in the DVD player, which I understand you should be able to do (depending on the player) and it does not recognize the file either.
    Shouldn't the entire file be burned and if so, under what format would it be burned to? What can I do? Help.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Did you use a vcd compilation in nero to burn the vcd??

3. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

dela did you see the nick how can we take someone serious with a nick like that ?

4. joking

joking Guest

Yes, I used the VCD compilation feature on Nero. I attempted using the wizard and tried witout it. It work (or should I say didn't work) the same each time.

5. Dela

Woderboy: Actually I didn't notice at all!!!

So joking, just check that you have a vcd burned on the disk. Open the cd and open the folder MPEGAV. What filesize(s) are there??

6. joking

joking Guest

There is a file called Avseq01.dat that is 806,488KB. Maybe that's what I'm needing but, Where do I go from here. My DVD Player doesn't recognize the disk and I can't seem to get it to play on the computer. What am I overlooking? Thanks so much for your help so far.

7. Dela

Yup, thats the movie allright. Now tell me, Are you completely sure that you're standalone dvd player is compatible with vcd?

Is the vcd standard (That includes for regional settings)?

And what software are you using to try and play it in your computer??

NOTE: that when you play vcd's on your pc, they don't autostart like dvd's. You have to open some software dvd player to start em! WinDVD is the best at playing vcd's in my opinion!

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

yes windvd is very good for playing vcd's. Your DVD player maybe VCD complient but it may not be cd-r/rw complient go to http://www.vcdhelp.com and look for you DVD player and see what its compatibility is....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2002
  9. joking

joking Guest

Thanks for your help. I figured out how to get the file to play on the computer. Works great. I tried to play the VCD in the DVD player with no luck. I then discovered that my DVD player is compatible with VCD under CD-RW but not CD-R. I then copied the files to a CD-RW disk and tried it in the DVD player. It works but, there are blue and green pixels throughout the movie. Sometimes just a couple of pixels and at times it covers half of the screen. What causes this? Is it due to teh quality of CD-RW disc used? I am currently using Memorex 4X (Green Label). I heard that the color of the disk matters. Any truth to that?

10. Dela

Generally black are the best you can get in cd-r's. Grey is the most common and is fine. Green and blue are known to give problem!!!

Those jumbles of pixels on your movie are probably a result of the media type you are using. I can't understand why your dvd player will play vcd on cd-rw and not cd-r. That doesn't make any sense!

It really depends on the dvd player too. If it wasn't built to support vcd well, it won't play back very well!. When buying a dvd player, always make sure it has Video Cd written on the player itself!!

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Virtually _ALL_ Sony models or Sony manufactured models (such as Aiwa) are like this.

12. Dela

But why would Sony have sup[port for vcd's on cd-rw only and not on cd-r, thats what I just don't understand!!

13. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Their lasers in DVD players are made so that they pick up only specific kind of reflections -- exactly like everybody else does it -- but Sony's lasers only seem to pick up reflection angles from DVDs, pressed CDs and CDRWs (and then there was one specific brand of CDR -- search the forums for more info).

14. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

The only accepted cd-r manufacturer in Sony machines is Princo.

15. Dela

Thanx for the info both of you!!! I understand now but it does seem a little odd or even stupid if you ask me!

16. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

it IS stupid, and SONY is not the only big name brand out there putting out 2nd rate DVD players, mostly all Panasonic DVD players have this same problem, no CD-R compatiblity, and only VCD, no SVCD.. and their prices are usually higher than everybody else! makes you wonder, doesn't it?

17. Dela

I find Samsung as a good make of dvd player cause it'll read anything i throw at it!!!

I got some fright the other night, i decided to put in a divx to see if anything at all would happen. After a few seconds I saw play in the top right hand corner. The time stayed at 00:00:00 for a while and then started to move. I thought it was working until I heard the sound (which was mp3) and saw no picture. DAMN IT!!! Then the dvd player said Video-CD 1.1 when I pressed stop! Fuckin Weird!!!!