1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem capturing DV footage to DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by maccamlc, Feb 21, 2005.

1. maccamlc

maccamlc Member

I was able to do this before, but since updating to XP SP2 it will not work.

I have Windows Movie Maker, Nero Vision 2 and PowerDirector Pro.

Although these are not the best, they are all I need for my very casual purposes :)

But know if I try capturing the DV footage through Firewire with either Movie Maker or Nero, it will not even preview the footage and crash.

PowerDirector previews it and even looks like it is capturing, but when you stop the capturing, it freezes and crashes.

The weirdest thing is that I found a Microsoft fix for a problem with 1394 connections, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222) and after installing this and changing the registry (although my firewire port is built into the laptop) somehow Nero worked and captured some footage. Not sure if it was due to this, but it worked.

But now, it is back to doing nothing and crashing!

Is this a SP2 issue, I really don't want to format and reinstall to get back to SP1! Or is there something else I can try. I'm getting no help from Nero or Microsoft at this stage.

Thanks

Matt

2. maccamlc

maccamlc Member

Just thought I might have to add that the camcorder is a Panasonic NV-DS25

3. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

That MS fix has several options...what did you set it to? If you set it to 3...try 2.

Do you have a 1394b port on your PC? You mention this is a laptop...check with the manufacturer? They may have a patch.

Here is some info on the different formats...
    http://discountcablesusa.com/firewire-faq.html

Adder.