1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem connecting monitor to pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by djt0506, Jan 15, 2008.

1. djt0506

djt0506 Member

Hi all,

I took my old pc, etc.. out of our shed today and connected my monitor to it;turned the computer on but unfortunately didnt get a picture on the monitor.

I then connected the monitor to my laptop and got a picture no problem.

So I assumed that there was a loose connection inside the pc. I opened the pc up and checked that every connection was secure. But unfortunately still no picture. I even replaced the graphics card that was in the pc with a different one to see if it was the graphics card that was the problem, nope still no picture.

Then I noticed that the monitors connector (which is a 15-pin connection had one pin missing). However I still cant understand how the monitor could show a picture when connected to the laptop but could not when connected to the pc.

Any ideas on this would be really great coz I really am flustered with this one. Thanks.

Dan.

2. wagsdadog

wagsdadog Regular member

in my experience these problems are due to change with the Power Supply and/or the RAM. Maybe a recent uprade of either? downgrade or just general change. unchange it and see how you go. and just incase i say you should reset your BIOS, open it up- take the little CR-something something battery out for around 1/2 hour, making sure there is nothin plugged into your PC, obviously this includes your power supply. then replace battery- and turn on. Ive heard of rare occasions where people have had to take the battery out- wait- plug power supply in- replace battery then restart.

3. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

You should check that all the capacitors and the board all look fine. When checking your capacitors check for swelling or breaking, because that can cause your PC to give no picture. You should also try to boot the computer with one component in at a time, so you can narrow it down to the problem hardware. Oh and by taking the CMOS battery out, that just resets onboard settings like your BIOS. Might be worth a try though.

4. djt0506

djt0506 Member

thanks for your reply. Just removed all the leads connecting to the motherboard and removed all the power connections from all the drives and removed all the RAM.

Unfortunately, still have no picture coming through.

5. djt0506

djt0506 Member

ok, got a picture on the screen now. I turned on the computer, a picture appeared but a message came up saying "no operating system found". Does this mean that my connections from the HDD to the motherboard are correct and the system cannot find an OS on the HDD or may this mean that my leads are connected in the wrong port on the motherboard and the system cannot address the HDD so its just telling me that there is no OS present?

I have all drives disconnected from the motherboard except for the HDD. The HDD lead is connected into the port on the motherboard which is the Primary IDE port. IS this correct?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is, but check that the hard disk is a) connected to the power supply securely, and b) has its jumpers set correctly. (A guide for which way to set them will be written on top of the drive, you may need to unscrew it to read them)