1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem figuring out which burner i have (nero infotool doesnt work)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by euro2069, Sep 17, 2006.

1. euro2069

euro2069 Member

Hi, im having some problems with my burner, it is not detecting my dvd-r's. I was told to update my firmware but i have no clue which burner i have. I tried using nero infottol but it doesnt tell me anywhere what type it is, it only says firmware version "G7H9"

can someone please help me figure out which burner model i have?

thank you

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It's a rebadged Benq 1620. Phillips have used this model on some of their drives.It could also be made for other brand names.

There should be a G7V9 firmware update-being the latest in case you run into 16x media that gives you a no disc error. Some peeps have also cross flashed that firmware with the B7V9 firmware of the genuine Benq 1620.

When it comes to Benq 1620,they make Bulk and Retail drives. Bulk meaning genuine Benq with the phillips chip sets and the firmware begins with B. The retail are the rebadges and they'll have the G firmware.

2 totally different firmwares,so use caution when performing a firmware update.

3. wazzat

wazzat Member

If you can't get the burner to be recognized, try Nero's Drive speed controll. If that works Nero will probably recognize it. Does your operating system recognize the drive. [Windows] If it has a problem, try removing it, then install new hardware. You may need to reboot. If nothing else works, you can purchase a new burner like a dual layer, 16-18X dvd+-r, 8x dvdrw, 12x dvdram Samsung like my newest from Newegg or other retailer for $41.