1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem FTPing to XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Blumy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Blumy

Blumy Member

I've been using FlashFXP and a crossover cable to transfer files to my XBOX. It has been working just fine, just seemed to me it was slow. So I downloaded Filezilla to see how much better that would work, it was 1000 times better. However I just finished my first hard drive upgrade so now I need to transfer games from my laptop back to the XBOX. Now for whatever reason neither FlashFXP or Filezilla will keep a connection. They both timeout after just a min or so. I thought maybe it was just my XBOX so I happen to have my step dad's here and his has the stock drive and a soft mod. I had been using FlashFXP on his without any problem before as well, however his does the same thing mine does. Any ideas?

2. varnull

varnull Guest

network problem.. usually windoze firewall or something.. TRY reading the networking guide.. it's only a pc.. nothing special.

3. Blumy

Blumy Member

Even if both the boxes where working fine, then just stop? Also would that be the same if I am using a crossover cable to connect directly to the xbox, not going through my network?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

crossover cable required for direct connect to xbox from pc,recheck all your settings for the pc & xbox ftp process,disable firewall & like varnull said read the guide

5. Blumy

Blumy Member

I'll re-check the settings on my laptop. Where is this guide?

6. Blumy

Blumy Member

Status: Starting upload of C:\Documents and Settings\Known\Desktop\xbox2\NeoGenesis\sgenroms\Barkley Shut Up and Jam! 2 (U) [!].gen
    Command: PASV
    Response: 502 pasv is not implemented.
    Command: PORT 192,168,0,4,17,42
    Response: 200 Port command ok.
    Command: STOR Barkley Shut Up and Jam! 2 (U) [!].gen
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY data connection for E:\Games\NeoGenesis\sgenroms\Barkley Shut Up and Jam! 2 (U) [!].gen
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to IMAGE.
    Error:Could not write to transfer socket: ECONNRESET - Connection reset by peer
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/E/Games/" is current directory

This is what is happening today it works sometimes, then stops.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Guide is somewhere in the forum,fastest way to get to it use the forum search below the tabs,umm "how to ftp to xbox" or "how to ftp" without the quotes,best thing when setting up the xbox's is to make them all the same address,same name & same password assuming your using crossover cable,you will need to also recheck any settings in the pc as well as xbox to double check a number isn't out of place or a letter,you were connected before to the step dad so this means the comp will be the issue more than likely,remember i'm talking direct connection from ether port of comp to ether port of xbox with a known crossover cable & not a straight thru ether cable like you would use if connecting to a router/moem

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  8. Blumy

Blumy Member

I haven't tried my step dad's again yet, but I tried it again a couple hours ago and I was able to transfer about 200 megs to my XBOX with Filezilla like it was nothing. Then a second later I took another folder to transfer to the XBOX from the PC and it started fine but then a couple seconds later it stopped. If it didn't work at all I could see settings not being right on the XBOXs or the PC, but it works off and on. The other strange thing is that I have been FTPing to a total of 4 XBOXs over the past month using the crossover cable and all has been well until yesterday.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

As a test & this is pretty much how it's going to be by the looks of things is your going to need too fault find starting with anything that's changed, also make sure the connection from pc isn't set to turn off to save power it's in the settings or "configure",also
    somwhere in the connection settings of the pc is a file transfer setting you can change from as an example 50mbps to 100mbps full duplex,varnull mentioned it a few months back to someone regarding transfer speed,i pretty much just use explorer it seems fast enough & i did the "full duplex" can't tell if it made a diff or not but it ain't done no harm either,personally tho it looks like a comp issue well you need to start somwhere,also check to make sure xbox isn't set to turn off hdd or anything crazy like that,i'm not talk'n bout it turning the screen dark to save power or screensaver mode

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  10. varnull

varnull Guest

nah.. folder contains long filenames and things with illegal characters in the names.. it's really simple.

11. Blumy

Blumy Member

Ok so I was reading some info threads about how to ftp to the xbox, and someone had explained how to use IE/WE to ftp. I haven't used IE and WE to ftp for a couple of years because last time I tried it didn't work. Turns out I just had to do it a little diffrently than in the past. Anyway, so I tried it this way it worked for my xbox and my step dad's. The only problem I had was a ROM file name being too long which made IE/WE error and stop. So after I figured out it was only this folder causing the error I closed out IE/WE and opened Filezilla to transfer this one file. Worked like a charm. Of couse it doesn't have to stop for a file name being to long. I just don't understand why it would not be working all day on either box, and now it is working. I didn't change anything. It just makes me wonder because it might not work again tomorrow. If I was going through my network I would understand strange things can happen, but since it is just a direct connect from my laptop to my xbox with a crossover cable I don't see what could change since I go and check the settings and nothing has changed at anytime and it didn't work and now it does.....