1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem getting TV signal into XFX FX5200 Personal Cinema Card

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by stark2k, May 6, 2004.

1. stark2k

stark2k Member

Hi all.

I really hope someone can help me out. I'm based in the UK and have recently purchased an XFX FX5200 Personal Cinema Card (128mb). I've installed the card, along with the WDM & Nvidia drivers, and all software provided by XFX (WinDVR etc).

I've attached an RF Ariel lead into the RF socket on the card, the ariel i'm using is a small standard ariel that you would use for a small 14" TV. When loading up WinDVR and setting the correct settings (Pal_I etc) I can't get any picture or sound, just a srambled black screen.

My system is a P4 3.0ghz on an Abit mobo + 512mb DDR400 Ram I've tried teh card with WinXP Pro + 2000 server. The main purpose is to use the card as a Tivo like system.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a cable TV source, or a freeview box, or should a standard antenna/ariel be ok? I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t know what reception is Like on the UK but were I live the Signal is not clear enough to capture from an antenna and if the Capture card doesn"t get a Clear enough signal it will not display anything well at least mine doesn"t....
    From what I have heard about the Gforce Personal Cinema cards there are some Problems with the card and supposedly the Quality isn"t as good as Poeple expected it to Be, ATI Still Makes better Graphic/Capture Card combo"s...
    Try it with a VCR and see if you can get an Image this way you can find out if there is a problem with the Card or with the reception...And also Make sure you have install the Graphic Drivers AND the WDM Capture drivers and check your device manager to see if they are both properly installed and make sure you have selected the Correct Input on the Card in the WinDVR Capture software because your Card Probably has at least 2 or 3 Different Inputs and you have to select the correct one when setting up the Capture Software (Tuner)....good Luck

3. stark2k

stark2k Member

Hi,

I have all the right drivers installed, and winDVR is setup correctly I will however try it with a VCR. If the signal is too weak from a standard ariel, will taking the output of a freeview box help? If it does, what would be the situation with changing channels?