1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Problem] Help with cutting an AVI formatted video

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by demonicme, Jul 7, 2005.

1. demonicme

demonicme Member

[bold][[[[[SOLUTION FOUND. See Page 2 ]]]]][/bold]

Problem here::
    Recently I've been trying to cut this episode. I wanted to cut out both the beginning and ending song, so that the end result would be a smaller file size.

But, once I've cutted it and gone back to doublecheck everything is okay (Playing it again). The subtitles, the image, and the sound doesn't match up anymore. The file size became smaller but the video had become... "unwatchable".

I used the program called: "AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter". My friend uses it as well and hasn't experienced these problems. Can someone help me resolve this problem?

Thanks for your time! ^^

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. dvdplayah

dvdplayah Guest

try easy video splitter... download it from. any good torrent site...

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, don't.
    Just get virtualdub.

4. demonicme

demonicme Member

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try it right now. I'll post again to tell you if it works. ^^ Thanks again.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Problem with AVI editing with many program is that they can only edit on a KeyFrame so if you make a Cut that is not on a Key Frame the Cut will actually be Made at the Closest Key Frame but the Audio will be Cut were at the Spot you selected so there will be a Sync Problem because the audio and Video aren"t being Cut at the Same Place.....

If you use Virtual-Dub to Cut your AVI file make sure you use the "KeyFrame" buttons to select your Cut point and Not the Frame By Frame Buttons as the KeyFrame Buttons will only let you navigate useing Keyframes.....

Cheers

PS: With Some AVI formats all of the Frames in the File are KeyFrames and these are the Most Desireable Formats for AVI editing, Some of these Formats include DV AVI, HuffYUV and Uncompressed AVI....

6. demonicme

demonicme Member

Okay, i'm on my first step to successs =.=" (Not really...)

I've gotten Virtual Dub but I don't quite understand how to use it... and how to cut it.

@Minion: What you said makes a lot of sense, except how do i use the Keyframe buttons and avoid using frame by frame? It sounds extremely complicated to me (someone who's cutting and using Virtual Dub for the first time).
    And i don't quite understand the "PS" part... i think my avi files are compressed...

Well, as you can probably see, I'm in a huge problem so help would be greatly appreciated! And once again, thanks for your time ^^

7. dvdplayah

dvdplayah Guest

thas y i said try easy video splitter..it's pretty simple and it works.!1

8. demonicme

demonicme Member

Okay, I finally learned how to use Virtual Dub. There's still the same problem. Audio, and image isn't in sync. (They don't match up).

@Minion: I tried with using Keyframes. The result was a little better than using frame by frame...but it's only a little better...

@dvdplayah: Easy video splitter? Does that actually work and where do i look for it? (I think i'll be trying a search with google for the easy video splitter).

Am i the only one that's encountering these problems?!? So frustrated. I really need help. Any kind would do. Thanks!

PS: I think this may be the problem but i'm not sure. When i open up my avi. file in virtual dub, this thing pops out. It's contents read:

Virtual Dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. THis may introduce up to 2025 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 118.3 [some kind of symbol here] 17.2kbps)

The above was taken word for word.. if this is the problem, how do I decompress and recompress a file to the said bitrate?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you should have said before that you were getting that error when loading your File into Virtual-Dub...

What that message means is that the Audio in your AVI file uses VBR MP3 which will allways Go out of sync after rendering...

What you have to do first before editing the File is Decompress the audio in the AVI file and then Edit the AVI file with the Decompressed Audio....

You can use Virtual-dub to decompress the audio in your AVI file...
    What you do is First Load your AVI into V-Dub and then go to "Video" and set it to "Direct stream copy" and then go to "Audio" and set it to "Full processing Mode" and then go to "File" to "Save As AVI" and save the File as an AVI file and in a Few Minutes you will have a New AVI file with Decompressed Audio that you will be able to edit in v-Dub useing the Keyframe Buttons without there being any sync problems.....

The Main reason why you were haveing Sync problems is because of the VBR MP3 audio in your AVI file.....

Cheers

PS: the New AVI file will be about twice as Big after decompressing the audio but this has no effect on the Size of the File if you decide to encode it to VCD/SVCD or DVD....

10. demonicme

demonicme Member

Sorry about not mentioning the above, I didn't think it was that important, a error on my part. Apologies..xp

I've tried step by step on what you said Minion, but another thing comes out, it reads:

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format. (source format tag: 0055).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong again? sigh Please help ^^

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Do you have a MP3 codec installed??? because the error seems to say that you do not have a MP3 codec??

12. demonicme

demonicme Member

Hm....no, I most likely don't have a MP3 codec installed... do you by any chance know where I could get one? (By the way, I'm so grateful for your help)!

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

14. demonicme

demonicme Member

I've downloaded the said codec from the given site. The same problem is still there. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Sorry But I have No Idea why you are Still haveing Problems....

Can you Playback the audio on your PC and Hear it....If so then you allready have the Correct codecs Installed...

If you want You can PM Me with your e-mail address and I can send you simple Little tool that is used for decompressing the audio in AVI files....

16. demonicme

demonicme Member

Can anyone else help me please?

17. breencp

breencp Member

[bold]SOLUTION HERE![/bold]

Damn this was a tough one. I came across this thread in an effort to solve my own problem, which was exactly the same as yours, demonicme. The audio stream in my divx (avi) file was vbr mp3, and while every player I have (windows media, Ulead DVD Workshop, WinAmp, etc) would play the video and audio in sync just fine, every attempt to convert this divx file to DVD (vob) format failed. The "Virtual Dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding" was the exact error message I got. In addition, trying to decode the audio to raw WAV with virtualdub failed with the same msg... "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format. (source format tag: 0055)." I should mention I have just about every codec I could find on the web installed, and tried different versions of each. GSpot told me the file was just fine, and in fact listed the multiple codecs that all claimed they were capable of decoding the file. And in fact, this was true, they could decode the file for viewing, but again no conversion programs could read it. So anyway, enough story line, as it's all here already, here is how I solved MY problem, resulting in an MPEG2 file with perfectly sync'd audio and video.

Step 1) I extracted the audio from the avi using avi2wave found at http://agrgic.tripod.com/avi2wav/ . It's important to note that the resulting file is simply a direct stream from the avi file, it didn't actually convert anything, and in fact, it's still a VBR MP3 Audio file. I renamed the file to .mp3 because the next program I used will do the actual conversion to raw wav, and it required that the same file name with the .wav extension be available.

Step 2) I decoded the .mp3 file to raw WAV using RazorLame (http://www.dors.de/razorlame/download.php). Simply "add" the .mp3 file, and click "decode"! This is basically a front end GUI for the LAMEMP3 decoder. If you get an error at the end of the decoding, don't freak out, I got the error too. After careful inspection though, I found I now finally had a raw wav file containing the audio from my avi file.

Step 3) I used the wizard in TMPEGEnc Plus 2.5 (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tp.html) to merge the video of the original avi file and the audio from the new raw wav file. I did this using the project wizard to make a DVD-NTSC with CBR MPEG-1 Layer II Audio. When I was done.... whala! Perfectly sync'd video and audio in MPEG2 DVD format.

I realize you are trying to cut segments from your video file as well, which I am not doing, but you should have much better luck with a DVD compliant mpg file, vice the original avi file. I know I was quite excited to finally get this working after a week of browsing forums and destroying the integrity of my OS with the new installation of dozens of apps and codecs, which is why I registered for this forum just so I could share the solution. Let me know if this worked out for you like it did me. Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  18. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Use VirtualDubMod. You said that the subtitles were out of sync to though? You would need to adjust the subs for the missing start seperatly.

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

That seems like a lot of Work when you don"t have to ...

20. demonicme

demonicme Member

Sorry for the late reply. I was extremely busy these past few weeks.

[bold]@breencp:[/bold] I tried what you told me. First, I downloaded the avi2wave thing, then i tried to follow step one...only it was a disaster...=.=
    I selected it the avi file and then tried to extract the audio... the problem is that i can't seem to find the "extract" button. I tried the "select" button at the bottom and the popup thing came out where you're asked to save. So i tried to rename it into .mp3 (i think this is what you meant with saving it with the ext. .mp3). But it didn't save. I'm not sure why....so far, I'm stuck on step one, which is pretty sad when i think about it...

[bold]@Celtic_d:[/bold]
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm not familiar with VirtualDubMod, so how do I adjust the subs for the missing start separately? Please help me.

Thanks to all. I'm seriously working on trying to solve the problem. Hopefully I will have the time these few days as things are going to be getting pretty hectic around here. But please do leave a reply if you do know the solution/can help me. I'd love any kind of help. Thanks!