1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Problem] Help with cutting an AVI formatted video

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by demonicme, Jul 7, 2005.

1. demonicme

demonicme Member

Can anyone help? =(

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I suggested VDubMod because of the VBR mp3 audio, not for the subs.
    With the subs you need to figure out how much time you cut from the start of the video and then shift the subs by the same ammount. Subrip, subtitle workshop, etc. should be able to handle that fine.

3. demonicme

demonicme Member

Could you please give me a step by step tutorial or could you suggest where I might be able to get a tutorial. I'm new to this splitting and cutting thing so i'm very unfamiliar with VDubMod.
    How do I do that? For example, if i cut 2:36 minutes in the beginning, i should shift the subs back 2:36 minutes?

Also, is Vdubmod the same thing as VirtualDub? Sorry if this question seems so... dumb. I'm not very familiar with these programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated Celtic_d! I'd love to hear from you again ^^

4. demonicme

demonicme Member

Anyone? ^.^"

5. breencp

breencp Member

VirtualDubMod is different...

"VirtualDubMod is based on the famous video editing software VirtualDub by Avery Lee. Born as a unification of several existing modifications, a lot of new features have been added, including support for the matroska container format." Quoted directly from the virtualdubmod website, which is http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmod/ (hint: you can download it from there too)

Here is a general tutorial that might help get ya started...

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/vdubmod-procedures.htm

6. Richter12

Richter12 Member

Well, this is at least somewhat along the same lines. I'm a more experience VDubMod user, but I'm stuck with the "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format"

It's a couple of episodes of a TV show, and some are in .AVI, and some are Matroska (the bane of my existence), so I've been able to use different tools to increase my knowledge, but I still find myself lacking a solution. The end result is I want to convert them to DVD-Video.

Before we go further, let me say that these files play fine in WinAmp

I went into VDubMod like normal, told it not to correct and dumped to WAV, added the new wav, disabled the source audio, turned on full processing mode, and I get that error "no audio decompressor".

So I pop out and run AVIcodec on it, and it comes up as WMV9 for Video (supported) and Audio file unknown (supported). (Well, technically it says ' Audio : 23 MB, 137 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0xFF = Unknown, Supported')

So it doesn't know, only the filename has AAC in it, so I'm banking on that. I pull out the Matroska diag and run it on one of the Matroska versions, and it comes up as "Installed, supported by Core AAC" which is fine.

So I change the name of the wav I dumped to .AAC, and try to run it through Ease Audio Converter to make is an uncompressed WAV. Only in Ease it comes up as "mp3" for type, and a duration of 4 seconds. Needless to say, it does NOT play after encoding.

I also ran the file through Nero ReCode2 which is supposed to have AAC support, only it ignores the audio track completely.

Any ideas, anyone?

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well VDubMod requires ACM decompressors, so just because something plays via dshow doesn't mean that VDubMod can decode it.

Anyway, I don't think that VDubMod can properly demux aac. Even if it could, there is the possiblity that it is he-aac and that when you converted your demuxed aac that whatever you use would miss the SBR part.

My advice. Decode the audio using mplayer instead.
    mplayer.exe -ao pcm:file=audio.wav -vo null -vc dummy input.avi/mkv/whatever.

Use -aid # or -alang eng/fre, etc. to specify the audio stream you want if there is more than one.

8. demonicme

demonicme Member

Okay so I haven't replied in the longest time but I've been poking around with VDubMod and I've found the solution (but of course I couldn't have done it without the help you guys have given me, thanks!)

[bold]So here's the result:[/bold]

1) open VDubMod.

2) Go to Video (located at the top) then click the 'direct stream copy' button.

3) Once that's done, go and open your file. (Click File, open video file).

4) Once your file is opened, a popup may come out saying something like this: ---------------------------
    VBR audio stream detected
    ---------------------------
    VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1).
    The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 0 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 112.0 ± 0.0 kbps)

Do you still want to rewrite the header?
    Yes No

PLEASE NOTE: This popup may or may not appear. But in my case it did and it was the source of problem that was making my videos and the audio not insync. If this doesn't appear, I don't know what to do since i'm not very good at VDubMod and i think i only found this out by trying different things. If this popup doesn't show you may have a different problem.

There should be a "yes" and "no" button. Click no. Then move the slider at the bottom to the starting place you want to cut, once you've got that, press "home" on your keyboard. Then slide the slider along while pressing the "shift" key (on your keyboard). Go to the end of where you want to end the cutting. Press "end" on your keyboard.

5) Now the section between the first marker and the 2nd marker should be highlighted.

6) Go to File, then click "Save as". Rename your file and ta-da, it should all be in sync now.

This method worked for me I'm not sure about others. But i think it should work.

And once again, thank you all for your time with me. Thanks again for all the help. ^^. Hope this will help anyone else who needs to do it. ^^

-demonic me <3

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005