1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem installing XP over vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by nataki, Sep 29, 2007.

1. nataki

nataki Member

I bought a new Laptop(Gateway MT6821) and I hate Vista, I tried to intall XP. But was unable to because XP SP2 did not recognize the hard Drive..SATA, no floppy, no way to install the drivers, So I got the XP SATA drivers in a .exe from the manufanufacturer but couldn't slip stream into an XP SP2 boot disk because they are all in the .exe, they have to be installed somewhere..I need help this laptop has been sitting here for 3 weeks.....with Vista...ARGHHH..any sugesstions on pulling the drivers from the .exe to slipstream or any help at all getting rid of Vista and successfully installing XP would be greatly appreciated..(I bought a DELL laptop 4 months ago, no problems)..I am using slip stream software that cannot do anything with .exe and I even tried the "ultimate boot disk(ubcd4win)" it boots but can't see the hard drive either, it shows the CD ROM as the hard drive.

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Boot from CD.

3. nataki

nataki Member

in my previous thread i think i indicated that I tried booting from CD, that doesn't work because the RAID and SATA drivers have to be installed before that(I think) in order for the installation to recognize the hard drive. It give me an option to install them via a floppy, but my laptop doesn't have a floppy dive.

I found a program 7-zip that allowed me to extract the drivers and create the slipstream via N-lite, I am still gettting the same "Hard drive cannot be found" error

4. killalot

killalot Active member

USB thumb drive put drivers on that unzip them first if they are compressed