1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEM! NO CLUE WHAT RECORDER TO BUY

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by xmanatari, Mar 28, 2005.

1. xmanatari

xmanatari Guest

Ok!... So im interested in buying a dvd recorder at a resonable price. 300 bucks or so is fine with me. Ebay is even better. Anyways, I need a solid recorder with good recording quality. I plan on transferring old WWF videos as well as movies to DVD. I want something that can record in a high quality 4 hour mode, or 3 if available. I also need to be able to copy those "copy protected" tapes. I was looking at many cyberhomes, Liteons, and panasonics. Any recommendations? Menu editing would be nice. I would like even more to put it on my pc and edit it. I dont wanna loose any quality when recorder from VHS to dvd in 3/ 4 hour modes. Suggestions? Thanks!

2. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Stay away from Cyberhome's. Very cheaply made.

I would suggest something by JVC like the DR-M10 or DR-HM30. No recorder is able to give great quality at 3-4 hours, but at least JVC looks halfway decent compared to most others (like Panasonic) which have lots of artifacts at anything over 2 hours. The JVC can record any length of time you set it for from 1-8 hours (in 5 min. increments).

No recorder is able to copy copy-protected material without an additional "black box".

Menus on recorders are pretty basic, mostly text-only. You would be better off doing all editing/menues on a PC.

3. lpk

lpk Guest

I bought a Ilo DVDR05 recorder from Wal_Mart about a week ago.
    You can hook it up almost anyway you like to different sources of signal. it will record 8 hours on one dvd and the picture is as good as the tape from my vcr. I have tried everything that I can try with the machine and it as done everything just fine. using Verbatim DVD+rw disk.
    I have also played dvd's recorded on other stand alone recorders and on my computer, also music cd's recorded on my computer.
    I have recorded tv shows with the tuner in the Ilo and so for everthing I have tried has worked. Have not recorded a DVD+r yet.
    I have only had it a week and really putting it through it's paces because I had another recorder that worked about 2 weeks and the everything went bad.
    I am going to try this one as much as I can while I still have the right to return to Wal-Mart within 90 day's
    best of luck to you, because from what I read buying any dvd recorder at this time is a shoot in the dark.
    Luther