1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem opening C:\ folder window...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by snakeman7, May 25, 2006.

1. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

Hi everyone, I have just added a C: drive shortcut to my desktop,however when I double-click on it the windows Search window opens instead of the C: folders view.When I right-click on the icon Search is at the top of the list...then Open,Explore etc. I've checked the icons target in Properties and it is C:\.The same thing happens when I go through My Computer or Windows Explorer.I have to right-click then click Open.Is this to do with editing the right-click menu somehow so Open is at the top of the list?
    Oh,I have [bold]XP Home SP2[/bold]

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

How did you create the shortcut first? Did you just drag it from my computer?

3. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

Yes I did

4. codydog

codydog Regular member

Have you tried, right click the desktop, select new, shortcut, browse select c, name c?

5. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

Just did that man,same result.

6. codydog

codydog Regular member

Ok... That's weird. Be patient, let the thread hang around for a while. I'll look further into it. But maybe someone else has seen this before. CD

7. codydog

codydog Regular member

Check, start, control panel, folder options. Then file types. What does it say after the drive icon? EDIT>Check the two folders under the drive icon too.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  8. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

Next after the drive icon is File Folder

9. codydog

codydog Regular member

Ok, click "folder," to highlight it, then click advanced. What does it show for edit file type?

10. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

The two after the drive icon are File Folder then Folder

11. codydog

codydog Regular member

The one that says folder. Just click on it to highlight it. Then click on the advanced tag at the lower right of the box. It will open the edit file type box. At the top of the list in this box will be the default to open "folder" with. It should be either explore or open. If it says search that's the prob. If not I'll dig a little deeper.

12. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

For File Folder(which is the one directly after the drive icon)Edit File Type shows Enqueue in Winamp
    For Folder(the next after File Folder) Edit File Type shows explore,open being the other option here.

13. codydog

codydog Regular member

In folder options have you tried to restore defaults?

14. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

Damn,no luck with that either.

15. codydog

codydog Regular member

After you restored defaults, did you create a new shortcut? I know this is pecking around, but something simple has been modified.

16. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

No luck,still the same.

17. codydog

codydog Regular member

I'm sitting here laughing. It's easier to rebuild a computer than to debug windows. Ya gotta laugh. Give me a little bit to create what you have. Once I know how it got that way, it can be undone. If anyone else has seen this feel free to kick in.

18. snakeman7

snakeman7 Guest

LOL Part of me wants to forget the whole thing and just put up with it but I'm at the stage now where I just cant let it go.It's puzzling.

19. codydog

codydog Regular member

It's in the folder settings/properties. I've seen applications hijack the open default. But to have search at the top and not open is, well, it shouldn't be that way. The little things bug me the most, I've reinstalled over lesser. Just be patient.

20. codydog

codydog Regular member

I've sent you a pm.