1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem playing avi ripped using DVDx

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by airgate, Dec 24, 2007.

1. airgate

airgate Member

Hi guys, please help me with this problem that i have. Before i go any further, i would like to mentioned that my PC is perfectly fine playing video files of various types like ogm,mkv,avi, etc and i believe i have installed most type of codecs..oh yeah, i am using vista 64bit currently

I only have this problem of playing only one file, which is an avi file. This avi file is actually ripped by myself using a program called DVDx 2.10.

I used divx 6.4 using 2pass method. And after everything finished, the avi cant be played on VLC and Window media player. Strangely though, that avi can be played with GOMplayer.
    Another side note is that the avi file ripped is 3Gb in size.

Can anybody help me to solve this problem? Is there anyway that i am missing important steps while ripping the dvd? thanks guys and merry christmas to all...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

airgate,
    GOM player has an ingrained codec system which explains why you were able to play the AVI file properly. Now, what version of WMP do you have? If you have an older version, its codecs may not be current. To obtain the latest codecs both video and audio, perform the following: Start WMP; Got to Tools and then Options; Under Player tab "Download codecs automatically" check box. This box is selected by default. You could also download and install Windows Media Player 9 Codecs Pack instead of downloading codecs automatically.
    Additionally, acquire Video Inspector to scrutinize the file for additional non-codecs related flaws.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007