1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem reading the disc

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by blahgurl, May 9, 2007.

1. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

when i use nero burning ROM, i'll get to where i need to click the "Burn" button, but it won't let me, it seems like nero wont read that i have a blank disc in my dvd drive. Someone please help me... I'm new to this.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Need a bit more info here blahgirl.
    What are you trying to do like burn a movie, data etc.

How big is the file (or total of all the files) you are trying to burn?

Which option in Burning Rom are you using - like DVD-Video. What steps did you take?

One more for ya - make and model of the dvd drive and the brand of discs you're using.

3. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

im trying to burn a movie from bittorent.

in the nero buring rom it says the file is 4000MB.

yeah, im using dvd-video, i followed the guide provided by http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/40/59/

i am to the piont where it asks me to push the "burn" button, but its faded like it wont let me push it.

and my dvd drive is a matshita DVD-RAM LF-D521, and im using Magnavox DVD-R 4.7GB data, 120 mins video, 1-16X speed

And thank you for trying to help me, i have been trying to figure out this whole dvd bittorent thing for a while.

Thanks

4. binkie7

Ok here's some more ?'s for ya :)

What's the file type you downloaded? I'm thinking it's an avi.

I'm guessing you already converted it w/ a program cause of the size and the DVD-Video option letting you add it.

The dvd drive is a bit on the old side but I think Nero should still recognize it. Which version of Nero are you using like 6.6.0.18 or 7.8.5.0?
    Now the discs may be another story - the last firmware update on this drive was 2004. One thing the firmware does it update the media codes esp on newer media for the drive to recognize it and use the right burn strategy.
    The latest firmware version is A116.
    If it's not up to date - up date it.

You can check the version you have in Nero. Go to Tools (or Toolkit)>InfoTool.
    Click on the drive tab - there's a field there that lists the firmware version.

Here's another program to give a shot if the files are already converted- (free) - ImgBurn.
    Use the build mode to add the video_ts folfer/files to burn.

5. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

Yeah it was an avi, but i got it converted and everything. And i think i have the newest version of nero, the 7.8.5.0. And u were right about the updating the drive, it was only updated to A111, but i got it updated. I'll also give the Imgburn a try and let u kno.

6. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

ok, i am doing the build mode in ImgBurn, after that is done, what do i need to do next? (warning u, i am completely new to this and i have no common sense, heh :) )

7. binkie7

lol -you're doing fine blahgurl
    Build mode basically convert the files to iso then burn. So nothing else you really need to do.

Here's a little guide.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

8. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

Bah! i burned the movie to the dvd, but when i went to play it, there was no sound, and the screen was smushed, like it was really skinny... i dont kno what to do... help!!!

9. binkie7

I was afraid it wasn't going to burn :) But that passed!

What did you use to convert the avi - sounds like it may be the program you used.
    I'd suggest Nero's Vision but if ti's not picking up your burner then the option ' make my own dvd' might not show as an option.

Try this free program - DivxToDVD.
    Under standard change the format to which one you're in - like NTSC -US, PAL - Europe.
    Then when done burn with ImgBurn.

edit: fix link :)

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  10. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

Okay, before i get started, i just want to make sure im doing all this right.

Step 1: I am getting the movie from bittorent.

Step 2: I convert the movie from avi, or whever form, into a dvd format.(using DivX to DVD)

Step 3: I use a DVD authoring program.(using TMPGEnc DVD author)(and DVD shrink if needed)

Step 4: I burn the final result onto a DVD-R disc using ImgBurn.

Please let me know if there is anything i need to do more, or if i am doing anything wrong.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  11. binkie7

Was DivXtoDVD what you used before?

Remember to change the standard setting to the tv format you're in.

You can skip the TMPGEnc part if you like. Me - I've never used it so not that familiar w/ all the functionality.
    You right you would only need Shrink if the converted file was over 4.38 gig.

Yep then burn w/ ImgBurn.

12. blahgurl

blahgurl Member

When i converted it, i didnt use Divx, i cant remember what i used, but im gonna start over, and try it again, hopefully it will work this time.

So i dont need to use the dvd authoring...? hmm.... fine with me, thats just one less step i have to take!

thanks again

13. binkie7

Yeah I'd skip that part - I know it's a encoder but DivXToDVD will encode the avi too.
    Check the file too from DivXtoDVD and make sure all okay there before you burn.
    If you haven't already spot check the avi just to be sure good there too.