1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem shutting off Norton when burning - pop ups appearing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alsie, Mar 25, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

i know you can uninstall service pack 2,but i am not sure it will just leave you with service pack 1?????

have u checked this out?

2. alsie

alsie Guest

hursty - don't know how to undo service pack 2 but will investigate. SP2 was automaticlly done because I had it on automatic updates and if I had any idea this was going to happen I would have dismantled acceptance of the update until I had learned about the pros & cons of it. Appreciate you taking the time to help.Got a few days before I burn anything. Evidently what I learn searching Google is this firewall and virus thing was a big deal with Microsoft to have pop up notification if your not using their virus protect and internet protection or anyone elses for that matter forcing usage of some protection. When this popup comes up you can't do anything until you click on it-it freezes you into dealing with it.

3. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

to remove sp2 go to control panel> add/remove programs and sp2 will be one of the options i did it a week after i installed it.

4. swervin

swervin Regular member

I'm running Norton Systemworks (2005) with SP2 and never shut off anything and have no problems. One thing I recommend checking is your security settings in Control Panel.

Click on Security Center in Control Panel. On the left it will have Change the way Security Center alerts me. Click this. Make sure you have no boxes checked here.

Mike

5. alsie

alsie Guest

rhino351- Thanks -went to control panel -add & remove programs and removed SP2 update - It left 23 different things (fromSP2)after remove but low and behold no problem now shutting off antivirus and firewall and popup. It's gone.I went and changed my automatic update from microsoft to be notified when new updates are available and I can chose to install them if I want. Got a few tweaking to do because a few minor things have changed. Am glad that others did not have this problem but if it happens to them at a later date they will know how to correct. I will never think that Microsofts update are automaticly good for everyone. Again I thank everyone that helped. Am disapointed that Norton doesn't continue updating 2004 to correct this but 2005 has a patch that was sent out to compensate for it. My 2004 is up for renewal in Aug - why couldn't they offered 2005 for a period of 17 months instead of 12 or when I updated from 2003 that 2004 was only good until the end of the fisical year for critical updates??

6. thebigbos

thebigbos Member

I run Zone Alarm and if you turn it off Xp gives that little popup.. So I think if you use Sp2 you will have to get used to it... This is not a new thing, This happend from day one with Sp2.. I leave mine on when I copy dvds and it never caused a problem..

My 2 cents

7. swervin

swervin Regular member

I also run ZoneAlarm for my firewall. If the boxes are left unchecked in the Security Center, you shouldn't be getting any warning popups. I can shut down ZoneAlarm or NAV and get no popups.

Mike

8. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

My Norton Internet Security turned out to be 2003 edition. With SP2 and the boxes electing to let me monitor, I get no reminders or popups at all.

9. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

alfie, AV programs are designed to keep viruses and trojans from disabling them, but I think sometimes they are too smart for their own good. I sure wish you didn't uninstall Win SP 2 just so you could disable this Norton process. It seems kind of extreme to me and might cause problems later. Disabling Windows Automatic Update is a given for me as well as a bunch of other automated tasks running under Windows Tasks.

10. alsie

alsie Guest

DogBomb- Kind of a catch 22 maybe. I always have Norton antivirus running and internet security with the exception of burning a dvd and that is the only time I diasable them. I run a virus scan weekly also. My updates on Norton are automatic. searching on Google has shown many problems have come with SP2 and I will have no problem when these glitches are fixed and won't interfere with my burning and I probably will reinstall it at a later date.I am probably 1 out of a 1000 that has had a problem but nevertheless it's a problem. It's a bummer when sitting with the grandkids watching a flick on the big HD screen with all the surround and the pic freezes and to see the rest of the movie go into the other room and watch it on another player. My player on HD set is a upconverting one and shows flick on 1080 res a bit different than 480 res. Just my preference. People are still running Win 95 and 98 or ME so should everyone up to XP ? I loved Win ME and wished I stayed with it.

11. alsie

alsie Guest

amazing with SP2 gone my encoding time & deep anylisis time has dramaticly decresed and I wondered what was happening to shrink in my pc. Looks like (for me) SP2 did a lot of stuff to my machine besides the pop up. No problems with my copied movie also -

12. Dizzy83

Dizzy83 Member

Hey, i just had the same problem, and I think.... Think... Ive solved it.

Okay, much like the msn pop up problems you can get if playin games/download etc, you mearly go into "services" on your computer and disable it.

Now, Im sorry ive forgotten what it was called im sure it was SANalertW or something like that, (if you do that CRT+ALT+DEL as mentioned before, you can find its exact name when it appears..... and then find it yourself in services)
    Once found right click and disable, and bob is your uncle and Dizzy is your master.

Hope that one helps you all, I found the problem so damn fustrating im glad I fixed it, I dont ever EVER sign up to forums etc, but thought what the hell, you guys need help to.

- :)

13. alsie

alsie Guest

I started this thread and original solution worked for me of eliminating Service Pack 2 but needed some stuff that Service pack 2 gave when I went Linksys wireless for a hookhup after moving my unit to a room it wasn't practical or easy to hard wire for internet use. So problem came back when I reinstalled SP2 on my XP Home edition so as someone had said they had Norton 2005 Internet Security so I went the $39 and upgraded my 2004 version that wasn't due for renewal until August and after contacting Norton they agreed to honor my August date and now 2005 edition expires not in April but Aug 2005. If you go to Nortons site and read about Internet Security it states that it allows shutting down of Security for different times. Some are lucky that did not have this problem as I had. So as Senior Member Hursty stated my options he was right. Thanks again Hursty.