1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem upgrading HDD - Efforts are thoroughly described

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Bonbon101, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Bonbon101

Bonbon101 Member

My Xbox has been soft modded for quite awhile now. I checked the HD list and bought this. I am using this to convert it to IDE.

I used the Xbox HD Maker disk with Ndure and whatnot to format the drive and such (the same stuff I used to softmod the stock drive). I have my xbox's eeprom.bin backup on the cd, but it doesn't detect it for locking. I had it on a floppy, but apparently my floppy drive died within the last few months. I have another somewhere (not at my house), but haven't been able to find it yet. Eventually I will, if I need to.
    The ndure cd I used on the new hdd has my stock HD's C and E drives on the disk.

I used the HD locking tools on the ndure cd to lock the drive by manually putting in the password (lockhd -p 3y8er`23gf78g248t78`hg478ht4). I got the password by hotswapping the new drive into the xbox after loading config magic. After hotswapping I would click unlock HDD, it would tell me it wasn't locked (it wasn't), and then it'd refresh itself with data from the new HDD, thus how I got what I believe to be the correct password for locking.

Locking it with this password give me an error at boot on the xbox. (If you need to error number let me know and I'll gladly reproduce it for you.)

Locking the HDD with configmagic after hotswapping it (as described 2 paragraphs up) doesn't work, it just hangs at "backing up eeprom".

I use the UnleashX dash, but have EvoX installed as an app. (Grabbed the latest EvoX this morning.)

Right now my main concern is getting the drive working in the xbox. Utilizing everything past the 127gb I'm willing to get done after that.

I am rebuilding the new hard drive's C and E drives now, as I was getting error 13 ("Error 13\14\15: Dashboard Failure. Either 'Hotswap' or rebuild HDD."). I will edit/reply with more info as as I try more things.

Edit 1:
    Rebuild finished. I plugged it in without trying to lock it, and it still got error 13. I rebooted and ran config magic, hotswapped stock hdd with new hdd, had it reload to have info relevent to the new hdd, and it said it was unlocked in lower right hand corner. I clicked the option to back everything up. Then I tried locking the drive, and it succeeded (or so it said). I tried to exit configmagic to the dash with the new hdd in, but it froze. Restarted xbox and I still got error 13 with the new drive. I restarted the computer giving the new hdd power when I reset the xbox (to allow it to lock incase it was unlocked).

Edit 2:
    Ran EvoX from stock hdd, hotswapped in new hdd, tried to run XBMC and got error 21 ("Dashboard Failure. Either 'Hotswap' or rebuild HDD. Also the error shown after an Xbox Live banning!")

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. anthonygg

anthonygg Guest

this is the tut i used i used with a sata drive

3. traker74

traker74 Member

If you are trying to upgrade your HDD try using chimp. I just used it the other day and you can still find it for download. There are also many tutorials on how to use it out there.

4. anonimity

anonimity Member

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Config magic is going to get you into trouble.

The very first thing you do before you mod any xbox is backup the eeprom.bin. The eeprom and the exploit is your backup plan if something goes wrong.

Do some reading, it could easily be your sata to ide bridge throwing the error. I bought 2 different ones that didn't work with the xbox.

The one that works 100% is here
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220520670398&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's a thread with some useful info.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...t_size_hdd_that_the_xbox_will_support-820822/

If i were you i would make another xboxhdm cd (make sure you name the eeprom "eeprom.bin") and buy the correct adapter.

If it's a problem with xboxhdm locking the drive (frozen drive error) you need to change the drive settings to manual instead of auto. It's in the bios under hard disk. Search afterdawn, i have have instuctions on how to do it.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010