1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With A Laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SonnyJR, Jan 23, 2008.

1. SonnyJR

SonnyJR Member

My sister has a ACER Extensa 4620/4620Z Series Laptop and it has a problem with the built-in cam a more detailed description. The cam worked just fine one day after that day it stopped working. Also the USB 2.0 Ports don't work anymore they stopped working the same day the cam did. BIOS Version is 1.6 I think or close to that it isn't using Windows Vista cause she prefered XP Home Edition. I have been trying to find out how to fix the problems for about seven weeks and found nothing to help me. Please let me know if you know what to do with the computer, Drivers, BIOS updates, ETC.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The first thing that I would do is contact Acer. Have you done that?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if you have a backup disc, try reinstalling the "Chipset Driver" off it.

4. SonnyJR

SonnyJR Member

Yes I have and they have told me they will need to charge me $35 for their services, if anyone needs a DXDIAG please ask.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a bit rich. As i say, if you have a backup CD, you should be able to reinstall the chipset driver using it. If no luck, it's probably on their website.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Did the laptop come with the winxp home edition on it or was it vista? If vista this would be the reason they are charging for tech support.
    Most of the mfg's are only putting vista on the new systems which makes it a pain to find drivers!
    I know I have a HP that I have not rolled back to xp pro due to this fact!
    As sam stated you can try reinstalling the chipset drivers from your disk that might work. The best suggestion I can give is if it came with vista, reinstall that "OS" and go looking for the tweak websites. You should be able to get it to look and feel like xp home to some extent even though it's vista. I did it with mine!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FWIW, Blackjax, how did you get on with 'XPifying' your Vista? I'm keen to experiment with Vista 64-bit at some stage and if there are ways which I can make it run slightly better than poorly I'm all ears...