1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with a new DMR-E85H / Timed Recording

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by MTT1960, Sep 27, 2004.

1. MTT1960

MTT1960 Member

If I set the unit to record for 1 minute, it records for 2 minutes! 30 minutes....31 minutes!

This is a problem especially if you are trying to get everything on a 1 hr (XP) or 2 hr (SP) DVD. The E85H automatically sets the recording to go to the HDD. At first I thought I was doing something wrong.

I hope Panasonic will fix this problem with a firmware upgrade. I am forced to bring the unit back for a refund until it is. I can't believe no one has noticed this problem earlier. My unit was manufactured in MARCH 2004.

Any comments? Owners of this unit please check your also. Try a 1 minute record setup and watch how long it stays on for and how long the segment is using the "properties menu".

Michael

2. jacota20

jacota20 Member

i answered you in another thread. i dont notice the problem (if there is any) because i always set the movie to start 1 or 2 min earlier and end 1 or 2 min late. i want to be sure i get the complete movie. then, before i burn, i edit the movie to make sure i get the exact beginning and ending that i want.

when editing, use "divide title" to get rid of the extra beginning and extra ending that you dont want.

my unit was mfg in april, 2004.

richard

3. MTT1960

MTT1960 Member

Richard,

Can you do me a favor and try to 1 minute recording to your hard drive or DVD and see how long it actually records for?? Use the "VCR+" key on the remote and just program it to start about 5 minutes later for 1 minute. Then watch as the recorder turns on and see how long it records for. You can also check the length in the properties section.

Could you also tell me what the first part of your serial number is (letters). I am trying to determine how they correspond to the month of manufacture.

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't think anyone was on this forum. Hard to believe that no one has this
    recorder.

MIchael

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  4. jacota20

jacota20 Member

michael

looks like all panasonic recorders do this. i used the vcr+ key and set it to record for 1 minute. started at the right time, but it recorded for 2 minutes. must be some sort of lag time.

this is too good of a recorder. i wouldnt return it because of this. edit it and then burn it. and there are several people with this recorder on different threads. a lot of them need help on how to record something. or how to burn a dvd. and then you have a lot of people with really bad recorders that cant do half of what we can do.

my serial is: ku4da

richard

5. MTT1960

MTT1960 Member

Thanks again Richard!

My Ser # starts with KU4CA...so the "C" must stand for March and a "D" for April 2004.

My brother has a HS2 model and his works for exactly what you want the record time to be.

This must be a problem with its firmware. You are supposed to be able to record 1 hour in XP mode or 2 in SP mode onto a DVD-RAM or DVD-R directly.....but instead the recorder bumps it to the HARD DISK because it "knows" that the recording will go for 1 minute longer then it should. Panasonic admitted to be that this should not happen and promised to get back to me by today. However they did not and the person was not scheduled to be in today. I am expecting an answer tomorrow.

I will let you know the outcome when I get it. We paid alot of money for these units and they should work correctly!

I also can't believe that no one has noticed this yet...they must have sold thousands of these by now.

Michael

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004