1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with adware on computer..

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duboy1, Oct 31, 2004.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to fix this problem. Somehow i have adware on my computer ..ME.. and i ran, spybot,adaware,and even norton 05 and deleted everything several times. I found some stuff in the registry and deleted it to the best of my knowledge and still stuff comes up. Its mainly just popups in the browser anymore and i dont know how to stop it. If anyone can help i would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Thanks. Well i ran everything again in safe mode, and norton picked up a dll file name hwtplug.dll and it wont delete. Even if i end most of the processes.. it wont delete. This is the main source of all my probelms i am pretty sure. I tried the removal of it in safe mode.. like norton's instructions said to do, and it wouldnt delete still. Well any suggestions on getting rid of it now? I am thinking maybe restart with boot disk and go in dos and try to delete it? Well thanks for all the help!

4. ddp

did you try manually delete it in safe mode, if don't work try your boot disk method & manually delete file. did that on customer's computer, norton found virus had to manually delete in dos side. can't do that in xp ntfs

5. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

bad news... yes.. i tried deleting it manually in dos and safe mode, but it would not delete. I even tried in diagnostic mode so nothing would be running and maybe the dll file would not be needed to run, but yet it still ran and it would not delete. The only other thing that may work that i can think of is the reboot the system files and hope it replaces it? Well thanks again. If you can think to do anything else, ill be glad to try. Thanks!

6. ddp

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  7. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok, for system restore, mine shows that it is disabled, but it isnt in the end because i downloaded a program for a worm extractor for my computer and it had to have it disabled, and i did what it said to disable it, and then ran the prog. It said it wasnt disabled. So i dont know whats up with that. So i tried that prog, and the file is still there. I thought about it too, i said about having the disk reinstall the system files, but i think that is file is on a program not related to the system, so it wont reload that file. I dont know what program that is running for though cause i disabled all i could and it still runs. If i could know what it was coming from, i could get it fixed most likely. Well any other help? Thanks!

8. ddp

you know how to disable system restore & that you have to do restart after

9. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

i did that, and then ran the prog, and showed it was still there. right-click my comp, last tab, file system, advanced, check- disable system restore.. correct?

10. ddp

that is right, try running in safe mode

11. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

I think i did that. I will try again though later. Thanks!

12. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

well.. no luck. I tried it all again, disabled the restore, and then tried in safe mode. I even tried ending all the processes and try deleting it, so i guess the program that the dll file is running from is from something i cant close without my computer freezing becuase i cant close anything and therefore, i can delete it. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

13. ddp

try reloading me ontop of self, found it cleaned everything from restore, also might correct any other problems you might have

14. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

i geuss that is all i can see to do for now. Thanks!

15. ddp

you shouldn't lose anything but just in case copy your info