1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Audio Sync in TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by RonnaP, May 2, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get avisynth, install it.
    Make a one line file in notepad, called "test.avs"
    Put this in it, exactly as typed here: AviSource("G:\Temp\test.vdr")
    Change the drive letter, and path to whatever YOURS is.
    Make sure you save it as "test.avs" and not "test.avs.txt"!
    When you open virtualdub, start the frameserver, and save the file as "test.vdr" in the same folder as the "test.avs"
    Open "test.avs" with mainconcept.

2. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Hey thanks :) I will try Avisynth in a little bit and let you know how it goes.
    Quick question ever since I re-installed windows I've been getting an error that says "A High-Speed USB plugged into a non-high speed port" I asked HP about it and they said I would need to install a high speed USB port that there wasn't one on my pc. Ok, fine, I'm cool with that but I just burned a dvd and before I re-installed windows it would take me about 20-25 mins at 4x speed to burn a complete DVD-R, I just burned one and it took 1 hour 35 minutes.
    Did SP2 have anything to do with that - or ???????
    Oh ya, its my HP DVD Writer dc4000 (its external) that is plugged into my USB port

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

It sounds like HP doesn't have a clue.
    Check the specs on your system. It probably DOES have USB 2.0 (the high speed one), you just haven't installed the drivers for it, so it thinks you only have USB 1.1 (the slow one), which is why it took so long to burn the disk.

4. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I emailed HP back and asked them about drivers and they said it shipped with USB 1.1, and its showing USB 2.0 after windows update and that I needed to install a USB PCI card. Their product specs page shows my pc has USB 2.0 - WHO KNOWS ! I don't know why before I did a re-install it was faster and not now.
    One other question, when I go and try to delete say one of my video or audio files - it tells me its in use by another program and nothing is open - I even double check task manager and theres nothing there that could be using those files - its not with every one its like every 3 or 4 it will do that.
    Anyways, I downloaded AviSynth and did exactly as you stated and it worked PERFECT.
    FYI - I got a late mothers day present today - a new 19 in Flat Screen Monitor - MAN I musta been a good girl :)

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Just dig up the Windows USB 2.0 drivers. HP should have them somewhere.
    Glad avisynth worked. It solves a lot of problems, and when you get into it more, you can use it's filters instead of vdub.

Enjoy the new monitor!

6. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Hi again :)
    Everything with the encoding is going great !
    I was wondering if you could tell me how long it takes you to burn a complete 4.7gb DVD and what software you use and what rate does it burn at? (mine is max of 8x)
    Also, can you suggest a good video/tv capture card. I was looking at a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150.

Thanks so much :)

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

My pleasure :)
    If a burner is set up correctly (DMA mode) on an 80 wire cable, you should burn a full disk in less than 15 minutes (at 8x). We get so used to burning CDR at 48x, we forget how slow 4x and 8x really are.
    If it's taking more than 20 minutes, something is awry, and it's usually NOT the software, but either hardware, or a windows setting.

The Hauppauge PVR-150 is a decent card. There have been major issues with audio, both desync, and levels, however the latest driver version seems to have mostly fixed it. I personally prefer the 250 or 500.
    Get the "Retail" version, not the MCE version. The retail comes with the remote, MCE does not. Combined with some good PVR software (GB-PVR is ideal!) you can do wonders.
    If you want FM radio, get two cards, one retail and one MCE. The remote will control both. This way, you can watch one program, while recording another, or record two at once (including VHS captures).
    With a couple of plugins, you can open and run any program on your computer, get the weather, local theatre listings, including reviews, encode your captures to avi for storage, free TV Guide, calculator, RSS news feeds, the list is almost endless.
    Look around at the skins and plugins here: http://www.bladerhq.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

8. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

When I go to that site you gave me its asking me to login. Should I get the 250 or 500 instead of the 150?? I probably won't be doing anything real serious with it - just recording some tv and maybe some movies - also, I only have 1 extra open PCI slot on my pc so I dont think I can run 2 cards can I? Thanks for all you input :)

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You shouldn't have to login...Do a Google search for "GB-PVR wiki" and it should be the top link.

The 250 is a better quality card. It uses 2 chips, instead of one, and has the built-in option of capturing closed captioning if you want. The 150 does not.
    The 500 is basically 2 150's on one card. Great if you want to record 2 at once, or watch one, record another.
    If you don't forsee yourself ever having a scheduled conflict (recording 2 at once), then the 250 would do.
    Don't let me talk you into it though. There are many happy users of the 150. Read reviews, make your own choice. You basically can't go wrong with a Hauppauge card.
    One of these days, when I rebuild my PVR, I'm going to go with a Retail PVR-500 and the MCE version of the PVR-150. That way, I get 3 tuners, FM radio, and one remote will work with them all.

10. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I got the Hauppauge 150 and installed it and it seems to be working great ! I recorded my first program thru the night and it seems to be nice. I downloaded the GB-PVR and it seems nice and everything but I can find NO support for it. Nothing to tell me how to add my music or how to get back to the main menu when your in say tv guide or watching tv. Kind of a disspointment :(
    Well I figured out how to get my music in there - need to go into config - but I still don't see how to go back to the main menu.
    Also, what would be the best way to convert the recorded file (a DVD compliant MPEG2) to say a SVCD or VCD to burn on a CD instead of DVD. I would want to do this for say an hour show after I edited out the commercials, I don't see the reason to put it on a DVD.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Go to the forums at www.gbpvr.com
    To add your music (or whatever) open the config, click on the Dircetories tab. Add whatever folders you want, for both videos and music.
    To get back to the main menu (if there isn't a button) hit the ESC key.
    Remember, this is basically designed to be used with the remote, not mouse.
    To get your recording to SVCD, just record it as SVCD.
    Go into config, select Capture sources, hilight yours, hit Edit, beside Recording source, click Settings. Click EDIT beside quality profile, select probably Custom 1.
    It should already be set for 480x480 SVCD. Just adjust the bitrate down a bit, to about 2500.
    When you record, just select Custom 1 under the quality option.

12. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Hi, Well I haven't had Internet since Sat a.m. til this morning, major outage area, oh well gave me time to do some maintenance on my pc. Anyways, I messed with GB-PVR for 2 days and could not get it to work to suit me. I tried recording 3 different things and it didn't complete any of them. I couldn't figure out how to adjust quality settings and couldn't - I felt WinTV was recording in a better quality. I guess if it was designed to work with a remote maybe thats the problem cuz I am not using one - don't see the need.
    Guess I will stick with WinTV - thanks so much for all your help :)

13. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Do you know if I can preview in VirtualDubMod by inputting the resulting m2v file - then stream list add the ac3 file??? When I click on preview file it plays the video but not the audio - any suggestions ?

14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

All you need is the AC3ACM decompressor installed. You can then preview the m2v and ac3.

15. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Whats the best app to use to edit out commercials?? The card came with Nanocosmos MPEG editor which is easy enough to use but it keeps crashing on me. Is VirtualDubMod the best??

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Go get the updated Nanopeg from the Hauppauge site. Click Support, then click on your card.
    If you're not happy with it (even though it's reasonably fast, and nicely accurate), go with something like Womble mpeg-vcr, Womble mpeg-wizard, or tmpgenc mpeg editor.
    Womble will do frame accurate cuts. Tmpgenc mpeg editor seems to only do I frame cuts (one every 18 frames).

17. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I know this isn't the right place to put this but I couldn't find a section for editing. I've tried using NanoPeg and Womble and for some reason when I put the video into edit the end of its messed up - some of it is missing. Its there when I play the video back but when I go to edit its gone :(

18. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong but one video like I said earlier the end is missing - another video that I just recorded tonite I go thru it and the first part of the video is at the end. Both play fine when I play them in PowerDVD. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I can find JACKSQUAT on help - they tell you how to do it (with very little detail) but when I do what there telling me to do this is what I get.
    The one that has the end missing in nanoPEG - if I open it in Womble MPEGVCR i cut out the first of the video then go to the next commercial and thats it ! It won't advance any further than that (only like the first 5 mins is there) - it starts playing the end of the video all of a sudden - just jumps right to it - helpppppppppppp please.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  19. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

This is a known fault of WinTV2000, which is why so few use it.
    It has trouble properly writing timecodes, especially if the hard drive get's used for something else during capture.
    Increase the priority of WinTV2k when recording, and turn off antivirus scanners on the capture folder, as well as the temp folder. That may help.
    Too bad you gave up on gb-pvr. You should go to the forums, and post all your troubles with it. I'm sure you'll get lots of help to sort it all out. Better support than with most pay apps!
    Alternatively, you can capture directly into Ulead (the version that came with the card). See if that makes any difference.
    You can also edit in Ulead, so you may as well try it.

20. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

HOLY CRAP !! (as Frank Barone would say) LOL
    Well guess I better get GB-PVR back huh? I can't have this going on its about to drive me nuts !! Thank god it was nothing real important I recorded - I have a DVR box and I recorded one on it for my bf to watch when he got home cuz I just didnt trust it - guess I was right !
    I just installed Ulead (I didn't at the beginning) and I can't find where to edit. There is an edit disc on the menu but it wants to edit an actual disc - it won't let me choose my harddrive. hmmm

Last edited: May 18, 2005