1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Audio Sync in TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by RonnaP, May 2, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You will also find that gb-pvr allows you to choose mpeg-2 encoders, to any one you have on your system. You don't need to use the default (although there's an update for that on the Hauppauge site too).
    Please go to the gb-pvr forums, and post all the issues (including this messed up recordings one). Not only do we support gb-pvr, but Hauppauge cards in general.
    You could (should) also post on the http://www.shspvr.com forums, and (oh, I see you already did post on videohelp) ;)

2. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

I see you were posting at the same time I was editing my previous message - First off I called support for Hauppauge and asked them about the situaion and got "(a laugh) then try Ulead" - I was like OKKKKKKKKKKK.
    Anyways, I installed Ulead but can find no where to edit a video - I find edit disc on the main menu but it wants an actual disc - won't let me choose my harddrive.
    I guess I should just start over ! grrrrrrrrr

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In ulead, select New project (DVD) click Next.
    Select Add Video. Browse and load your video.
    Click Extract Video. Edit.

4. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I'm starting to figure out how to use GB-PVR - I posted on the forum and got the response "Read the Wiki"
    My questiuon is do I need WinTv 2000 or should I uninstall it now?
    Also how do you use my existing encoder (MainConcept) - where do I choose that and what does it do?
    Thanks so much for all your help :)

Well I can't edit in Ulead either - only first 5 minutes is there.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The PVR card does hardware encoding, but you can select which DEcoder to use for playback on the Playback tab in config.
    For now, best to leave it alone, until Sub has some answers from reading your logs :)

You don't NEED wintv2000, but I usually leave it for troubleshooting purposes only.
    Once you have gbpvr set up and running, you may want to uninstall it.

I guess the file is hooped. No point in fighting with it.

6. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well inbetween fighting with GB-PVR I'm trying to encode a video and I've drawn a BLANK.
    Here are the specs - PAL SVCD 4:3 (its already an MPEG1 file) 480x576 letterboxed.
    I know I need to resize it in VirtualDubMod to encode to MainConcept - but can I do that since its not an avi?
    Or should I just encode in TMPGEnc to PAL DVD but at 720x480??

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I would just encode to 720x480 at 25fps, then apply dgpulldown.exe to it.

8. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

That video that is all messed up, I would like to try to save if at all possible. It was a series finale. Could I possibly convert it to an avi then edit and convert it back to mpeg?? Is that possible?

Or should I just try to burn it with the commercials and forget about it?? What do you think?

9. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Is it possible to take a PAL video that is 480x576 and crop and resize it in VirtualDubMod so I can encode it in MainConcept?
    If so, what size would I use? I have racked and racked my brain trying to figure it out and can't. I have to encode it at 720x480 (NTSC) then apply 3:2 pulldown to make it NTSC standard - every figure I come up with is WRONG :(
    I'm gonna go ahead and encode in TMPGEnc cuz I know it will work there but it just takes so dang long. So for future reference I'd like to know :)

10. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Well I was trying to get the best quality I could in recording. I recorded some things over the weekend and picked High for the quality. The First one looks like CRAP its blocky and skips and stutters. The other two look good but then begin to get blocky and skip and stutter. Also every one of them after playing for just a 1 min or 2 crash my PowerDVD - it will play other files just fine.
    Any ideas???

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Open it in virtualdubmod. Edit as needed, then frameserve or resave as avi.
    Yes. Use the resize filter, and add letterboxes as needed, frameserve or resave as avi.
    Why 3:2 pulldown? Is the source 23.976fps?
    You don't need to resize that video in vdubmod. You can encode it directly in Mainconcept.
    Select the DVD template, PAL. Click Details, Remove the tick from Keep Proportions, set it to 720x480. Click Crop and Resize.
    Remove the tick from Keep Proportions. Resize to 720x480. Encode.
    Apply DGpulldown to it.

Blocky and crap video is more the result of playback, video card, mpeg decoder used, and hard drive speed.
    The card records video using hardware, and the selected quality is good. If the hard drive get's busy doing something else during recording, it can get jerky and stutter.
    Open up task manager, select services tab, put a tick in "show services from all users" and tell me how many you have running.
    It should be less than 25. If it's 30 or more, you simply have far too much stuff going on at the same time.

12. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

I have 36 process' going right now and I don't have but 2 programs running. Should I have 6 svchost.exe running???
    Thanks for all your help :) Your a sweetheart

13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

That's about 15 too many.
    SVCHOST's are usually internet/LAN, and rarely turn them off.
    Go through the services guide at www.blackviper.com, using the "Safe" settings. That should knock about 8 or 9 off at least.

Payback's are a bitch, but next time something goes right, have a pint for me :)

14. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

I have another question, I broke down and bought Canopus Procoder Express and its taking 3 hours to encode a 42 min video - is that normal?????? I'd be better off with TMPGEnc. I have it optimized for speed not quality.

Also, that www.blackviper.com is under construction.

You know my pc runs sluggish to me its a P4 2.5 ghz with 1gb ram
    but no matter how many process' I turn off it still seems sluggish to me. I have ran and ran virus and spyware checker and I've taken everything out of startup that absolutely doesn't need to be there but nothing works. And remember I re-installed windows but I don't think that helped either.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Something is wrong if Canopus is taking that long, but it could be the settings you chose, and the source avi.
    Are you frameserving? Have you applied any filters? Are you resizing? Are you doing a PAL to NTSC conversion?

Look here: http://www.codecavalier.com/blackviper/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Personally, if my system were that messed, I'd wipe it and start clean. :)
    Hint: Buy Norton Ghost. Format, install Windows, and all your software. Make sure everything is working exactly the way you want it. Make a ghost image, either on another drive, or burn to disk (dvdr).
    When things go beyond repair, ghost the image back to the boot drive, and you have a brand new system again.
    So you might lose a few emails.
    Back up favourites, email, and MyDocuments before ghosting back.

16. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

I had a feeling you were gonna say that :(
    I've been avoiding it ! I don't wanna re-format - waaaaaa :(
    Oh well just my luck