1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with burning movies to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by viclace, Mar 10, 2005.

1. viclace

viclace Member

When we download a movie and burn it to dvd it plays on our computer but when we put it into our dvd player it keeps saying to "insert disc". How can we fix it so the movies will play on our dvd player as well?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

First we need to know what type of file we are talking about? My guess if its downloded is that it is some sort of AVI. That means the file has to be converted into DVD compliant files .VOB, .IFO ect..

To do this I have created a guide at my website (link in sig) called "Convert AVI to DVD" give it a wurl :)

3. viclace

viclace Member

I'm not sure. My husband is the one who is trying to get the dvd burner up and working. When he gets home from work I will get him to give you the information and he can also look in the guide. Thank you for responding to my question so quickly :)

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ohh come on you can do it just follow the guide and then you will be one up on him. Just don't tell him how you did it, and he will owe ya :)

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i wish my wife was as interested in dvd stuff and AD like you!

hehehe...

6. viclace

viclace Member

lol. I highly doubt I can do it. Besides if I screw anything up then I'm dead :). I let him handle the computer. I just want to be able to burn movies onto dvd-r's and watch them in my dvd player on a 27" tv instead of on a 17" computer screen :)

7. viclace

viclace Member

sure i'm interested in it I just don't want to attempt it myself lol

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you kidding? Not me no way!! She can stick to reading her books as far as I am concerned LOL :)
    Well I do wish she would learn how to back up a DVD though, but she could care less. Hell if she were in here on AD I would be in trouble she would be telling all of are dirty little secrets.. LMAO! Wife just smacked me!!! LOL yeah I was messin with her cause she is sittin here watching. :) OUCH!!! LMAO

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your not by yer self we are here!!! :)

Believe me I made the guide as simple as possible even wifes can follow it and be successul.. OUCH!!! LOL

10. Annaliese

Annaliese Member

Im having a similar problem. The program I use is RecordNow! -.- but..Whenever I insert a blank dvd (Memorex DVD-R) it tells me to "insert disc" yes...marvelous. I decrypted the dvd and saved it to a folder and it works fine and everything but I can't burn it onto the disc.
    Any suggestions?

Annaliese

11. viclace

viclace Member

My husband can burn the movie to the disc, we just can't play it in our dvd player.

12. viclace

viclace Member

My husband has downloaded files(movies) and done conversions with active x converter. tried to burn through nero and came up saying invalid format. Tried to convert to mpg & mpeg 2 and it still didn't work. The burner only seems to burn on DVD-R. Am I able to burn a movie onto a dvd-rw and then transfer it to a dvd-r?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I don't know what method you are all trying but why don't give the guide at my site a shot? The programs there are free and it is proven to work for a whole lot of people here. :)

I told you to go ahead and do it before your hubby got home. You would have had a disk that plays by now.. :)

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@Annaliese,
    Your problem is not the same totally as viclace however you biggest problem is the media you are using Memorex is well known for being just plane awefull media "the worst" What you can try to do to solve your problem of not being able to even recognize the disk is download and install the newest firmware for your DVD write from the manufacturers website.

15. djscatter

djscatter Guest

i don't know why everyone knocks memorex, I have gone through spindle after spindle with no problems what so ever. No coasters, no quality drop off, no pixelation and no freezing.

Perhaps its just the type of memorex I am using.

16. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Personally, I use Maxell yellow coated dvd-r and Ritek dvd-r religiously. The Memorex 8x media is crap and I haven't used the 4x media since I first started backing up my movies around 3 or 4 years ago and at the time they work ok but not great. Memorex DVD media has about a 50 percent failure rating right now and that makes for alot of coasters!! I usually stand clear from them but that's just my opinion.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

djscatter,
    Actually if you are using the +R disk then most people have had pretty good results, but the -R are the worst there is. Memorex disk's are like the plauge and they have earned there infamous reputation by going with cheap (CMC Mag) instead of quality. So in the feature I would steer clear from them if I where you. Just some friendly advice :) If you have some older Memorex backups (like when you first started) try playing one of those now and see if the quality is still the same as it was back when you first made the disk...

18. Annaliese

Annaliese Member

Well, I discovered that it would be like 70 bucks to update Recordnow! so, Im not even going to bother. The discs are also the plague (thankfully I didn't buy them...) So, I guess Im just going to tell the person who wanted me to burn some stuff for them to go buy the anime themselves. Yes, I am that nice.

19. djscatter

djscatter Guest

Yes, I only go with the +R discs. Not one coaster, YET!!!