1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Burning speed....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Summoner, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Summoner

Summoner Member

I'm a newb. -.- But a friend got me into burning and such, but my burner was going at 4x...but now, for some reason, it's going at 1x...I dont know how it changed or why...but does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this issue? Thanks in advance...

2. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Update and install your burners firmware at the models main website, eg: liteonit.com or plextor.com, pioneer, cdfreaks firmware, etc.

3. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Oh yea I forgot, I dont know what software your using but, set your burn speed to 4x in your settings.

4. Summoner

Summoner Member

DVD-Shrink...but I couldn't find an option to change the burn speed on it. -.-

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

A very drastic move indeed................

BUT FIRST...............

Your burner may have altered itself into PIO mode.
    Whereas it should really be in DMA.

Go into Device manager
    Click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
    Click on either primary or secondary (depending how your burner is connected)
    Go into properties
    Go into advanced settings

You should see the mode settings here, the one you want to look for is 'current transfer mode'
    Now I suspect yours is displaying PIO mode rather than DMA.

You can do 1 of 2 things, either uninstall the drive (in software not phyisically) and reboot and let windows reinstall it - see if that works.(right click on the drive in device manager)

Or uninstall the IDE controller that it is on, and reboot - one or the other should get your transfer mode back up to DMA mode.(right click on the correct IDE controller in device manager)

This should hopefully get you back on track.......................

6. Summoner

Summoner Member

Tried 'option 2', Baabaa...no luck. -.- Waited almost an hour through encoding just to see that "Burn process started at 1x"...another hour long burn process for me...I dont get what happened to it...it's bugging me like crazy. >.<

7. Summoner

Summoner Member

Transfer Mode on both devices are set to "DMA if available"...and I take that back, I had my roomie take a look at it and he said he tried the first 'option'...but he's asleep now. >.< I just have the worst luck.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What does it say in the greyed out window that says 'Current transfer mode', it should say something like Ultra DMA 2 or similar.

If it says PIO Mode, then uninstall the IDE controller and reboot..................................

9. Summoner

Summoner Member

Primary says "Ultra DMA 5"
    Secondary says "Ultra DMA 2"

But it's not giving me the option to change them...

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What have you got in relation to internal devices?

How many Hard drives?
    How many optical devices such as DVDROM, DVDRW, CDROM etc?

IE, what have you got connected to the IDE interface and their respective configurations?
    (eg 10Gb HD as Primary master, CDROM as Primary slave)

11. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Not so drastic afterall huu.

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes it still is drastic, as a reflash with any firmware is not a 'cart blanche' resolution to resolving burning issues and the ability of killing a drive via a bad flash is very much in the forefront of my mind, and therefore explore ALL possibilities before handing out advice that could cause irrepairable damage to other peoples equipment.(just my opinion, no insult intended).

@summoner, could you answer those questions and also what media and burning software are you using?

13. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

This may sound like a stupid question? but have you changed your DVD media recently as it may be that your burner does not like the media.

If all the other replies dont work then it may be that your burner is dying as many burners on there way out will burn at lower speeds but not maximum.

14. Summoner

Summoner Member

HD is primary, DVD writer is slave.

DVDShrink is software, and the discs are some Taiyo something...easier to pronounce, but roomie says the guy at our local PC store recommends them...

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The Taiyo Yuden's do produce quality discs have these exact type (out of the same batch) worked at 4x previous to this? ie are they 4x rated discs......

Try this:
    Uninstall your burner, and physically connect it to the SECONDARY IDE interface (you may need another cable), and set it up as master (via jumper on the rear of the unit).
    Reboot and let it reinstall again, then test it and see if it operates ok....................

16. Summoner

Summoner Member

Yeah, same stack...with as slow as these burn (an hour burning process alone) there's no way I can use all 50 this soon...heh.

But, I'll try what you suggested when my roomie wakes up, sounds like I may need his help with the wiring and such. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it. And thanks again for all the help.

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote:

"but roomie says the guy at our local PC store recommends them..."

The guy in the shop would, wouldn't he?
    You will have to experiment with media, Ritek & verbatim seem to be popular.
    I would have a gander at the dvd media secton in this forum. You should find some top tips there

18. Summoner

Summoner Member

Been out of town for the holidays but here's the status;

Man, do I feel like an idiot. The problem was so simple it's sickening...ugh. >.< When burning discs at 1x neither Shrink nor Nero told me this, but when I tried putting a different version of Nero on there a message came up that had NEVER popped up in the past. "Trial version of Nero has expired. Your burner will be operrated at the slowest speed possible." I borrowed my roomies Nero disc and installed it....my burner's back up to 4x.

Wanted to thank everyone who took some time to try and help me out. I really appreciate it. ^^ Now if I could just figure out how to burn Resident Evil 2 with working Menu's...bah.

19. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Run a search on the movie title, there are a million posts on Resident Evil.

20. baabaa

baabaa Active member

HeeHee,`sorry to laugh but I am also laughing at myself.............funny how easy it is to overlook the obvious when you discover it...............

But well done, you obviously did some hard PC crunching and got the resolve....................

Resident Evil, you picked a tough one there, one of the newer discs that seem to contain some 'purpose bad sectors'.

However, have a look here, it is one hell of a thread dedicated to that film and will take some reading, but I think you will find the resolve here, I think it all relates to either using the PSL file playlists within Dvd Decrypter or a program called Vob blanker.
    See how you get on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/136566