1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with copied movies skipping!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by beermanrg, Jan 12, 2005.

1. beermanrg

beermanrg Member

What would cause the movies that i have ripped and copied to skip during playback. I use shrink and burn with nero. I always reauthor and only burn just the movies without all the extras. I started by using 4x dvd-r and it seems like most of those are fine but some of the 8x blanks have some skips in them. I always burn at 4x speed so that will leave less room for errors. I never get any errors during the encode process and no errors during the burn process. HMMM
    its just aggrevating to find out after the whole process then i watch the movie and it doent playback correctly. HELP PLEASE!

2. cyberia

cyberia Guest

Sounds like a media problem to me.
    What brand and dye type are u using ?I can recommend a good english site for disc's if u are Irish/English
    Use a G04 dye and i guarantee u wont get any skipping problems.

3. beermanrg

beermanrg Member

hmmm? if your asking what kind of blank media discs i use- it would be Memorex 8x 4.7 i also use the same brand but 4x seems like less problems with those.
    Any other help is greatly appreciated.

4. radiofree

radiofree Member

As for media, I actually do get better results with a 4x disc on my 4x burner than any other speed disc but I have also used junky media to high quality ritek and never had those types of problems.

Also, make sure you have nothing else going on during the burn. It also helps to check the burners' settings where you can adjust them to make sure you are getting the best burn possible. This is done differently with different burners (depending on make and model) but your documentation should help you in some way - or search these boards for help with your burner settings.

5. beermanrg

beermanrg Member

i just read in another thread that using sticky labels on copied disks can cause skipping errors. Is this true? I have been using labels on all my movies but not all of them skip. any info?

6. radiofree

radiofree Member

labels will unbalance a dvd if it isn't seated properly - it also depends on how your player is set up; it can vary from player to player.

7. mblue

mblue Guest

Skipping can be caused by a dirty player, poor player that doesn't support DVD recordable media or just plain bad media.

8. bardie

bardie Regular member

I would try some better quality media to start with like TDK, Verbatim, T.Y. and so on.
    Perhaps also decrease the taget size in DVD Shrink to 4300, this stops burning close to the edge.
    Defragmenting hard drives also may reduce problems.

9. colw

colw Active member

Almost daily there are a least half a dozen posts in relation to DVD playback - generally in relation to skipping/freezing of DVD's on playback.

While these posts have been answered many hundreds of times over a wide variety of threads/topics, the question continues to reappear (generally due to inabilty to use search button at top of page or to read/comprehend previous threads/answers).

Listed below is my recipe for successful DVD burning - Have burnt between 500 and 1000 without any major burning or playback problems.

People are free to accept or reject this advice - it is not prescriptive, merely advisory and has worked very well for me.

1. Do not use labels on burnt media.
    2. Keep your hard drive defragmented.
    3. Ensure you have plently of free hard disk space.
    4. Ensure you do not have sypware/virus on your system.
    5. Keep you start up menu lean and clean.
    6. Use a program such as HijackThis to ensure your start up log is lean and clean.
    7. Avoid conflicting programs on your system e.g., Nero/Roxio do not play well together - choose one only.
    8. Avoid the use of packet writing software e.g, INCD, Direct CD.
    9. Avoid multi-tasking when ripping/encoding/burning.
    10. Do not install problematic programs such as Interactual Movie Player and remove from system if installed.
    11. Do not burn too fast (max 4x recommended).
    12. Ensure definitions for virus and spyware programs are up to date.
    13. Avoid burning unnecessary extras - do movie only in reauthor mode if using DVD Shrink
    <http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm>.
    14. Use brand name, quality players for burning - e.g., Plextor, Pioneer, Lite-On etc.
    15. Use an el cheapo Asian/Chinese standalone for playback - they are much more versitile and reliable than name brands
    and normaly handle both Pal and NTSC formats.
    16. Use quality DVD media - Ritek, Verbatim, TY's recommended.
    17. Reduce target size of burnt DVD to approx 4400 if using DVD Shrink.
    18. Store safely and keep away from children.
    19. Be very wary of downloaded movies - in most cases they are not worth the time or effort to reproduce.
    20. Ensure that DMA mode is enabled in your system settings.
    21. Load and skip through chapters on computer DVD player (e.g, Power DVD, WinDVD) prior to burning.

My System Specs (don't laugh)
    PIII - 800 - 256Mb Ram
    Programs used: DVD Shrink (98%), DVD Decrypter (approx 2%), Nero (almost 100%) for burning.
    Success rate: 99% plus.
    Media: Mainly Laser with some Ultra Tran and a few other ring ins, dash format mainly.
    Burner: Pioneer 106D
    ROM: JLMS - Lite-On
    Rip/Encode time: Between 10 and 50 minutes (depending on movie) - normally under 35 minutes.
    Burn Time: Between 12 and 15 minutes.

This recipe has worked extremely well for me - give it a go if you dare.